Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Top Dog

LOL!!!

Great as in awesome AND huge. A combination of both

So extra awesomeness! ROFL

Roxy's offleash all the time, and she never lags. And she *always* comes as soon as she sees me grab her leash, and hold onto the snap. I don't even have to ask her to come, same with Hades.

Thanks for all that info Doberluv. I'll try my best to only use it in a situation where I can reinforce it, but it's hard because she does come, just on her own time.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
but it's hard because she does come, just on her own time.
That may be that she's not ready yet for a variable reward schedule and needs a reinforcer every time for a while yet. Make coming to you better than anything in the world....anything she's sniffing or engaged in. You want her (I assume) to come barrelling up to you into a sliding stop (like a quarter horse) everytime you call her. Have her come and turn her loose again to go back to what she was doing. If you want her to come on YOUR time....LOL, to your cue, go back to the beginning and cover all the steps like I wrote out. That way, my typing and tendonitis won't be for nothing. LOL.

Then when she's coming that way almost always...like 90% of the time, go to a variable reward schedule but don't phase out the treats entirely for a long time...skip around. And even when she's been good at it for a year or two years...(lol) still remember, the behavior needs to be reinforced here and there or it will regress.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Ok Doberluv!

Don't worry your tendonitis isn't for nothing! LOL

If I were to reward her *everytime* off leash with a yummy treat, she would come barelling towards me everytime. She's just so sneaky! If I don't give her a treat once, I can see her thinking when I call her, "Hmmm. Maybe I'll just sniff this a bit longer than see if I'm going to get a treat this time or not"

So from now on, I'll use treats off leash for every come.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
If I don't give her a treat once, I can see her thinking when I call her, "Hmmm. Maybe I'll just sniff this a bit longer than see if I'm going to get a treat this time or not"
You're not showing her the treat first, are you? You don't want to bribe her. Don't say, "cookie" or anything. And don't say, "come." Just entice her and act like a happy fool. Everytime is good, for now to give her a treat. Get her in the habit a little bit. Then, when she gets so she's barrelling toward you every time, skip one time. She'll still come to you. Then skip two times. She still won't know if she's going to get one or not, so she'll likely still come, just in case. If she doesn't, raise the value of the treat....a fresh piece of meat or cheese, hotdog piece. Then skip just one again....then maybe 3. Then back to every one for a few times, then skip, say, 5. Go slowly with changing the intervals between treats. Meanwhile, this not knowing for sure if she's going to get the treat, will actually strengthen the behavior because she'll try even harder (come quicker, faster). "Hey, how come I didn't get the treat. I better really come quick." LOL. It's just how it works.

Remember, don't give the command if you're not absolutely, 99% positive that she'll come.

http://www.brembs.net/operant/