Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Twin 2.0

I would grill him to the nth degree as to why he feels he has to breed this dog. It sounds essentially like he's bringing a retired bitch back out again...why? Does he really not have any good dogs left in his program? Did he not sell at least one dog on a co-own? And perhaps I'm a heartless skeptic, but the car accident "can't bring in any new stock" excuse sounds a little convienent. I can accept it as to why he doesn't have a "good" website, but I would think that any and all energy he has would be put into his dogs anyway.

But that's me.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 08-27-2006, 01:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I would grill him to the nth degree as to why he feels he has to breed this dog. It sounds essentially like he's bringing a retired bitch back out again...why? Does he really not have any good dogs left in his program? Did he not sell at least one dog on a co-own? And perhaps I'm a heartless skeptic, but the car accident "can't bring in any new stock" excuse sounds a little convienent. I can accept it as to why he doesn't have a "good" website, but I would think that any and all energy he has would be put into his dogs anyway.

But that's me.
Yep, nine is too old.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Naturally Natural

I think anyone who tells you in one phone call that Roxy should be doing Schutzhund isn't a breeder I would be looking at.

Dogs trained in bite sport above all should be STABLE dogs, and Roxy is far from stable, based on what you have told us on this board.

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 08-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

i would call again and ask more questions,

like about the 9 year old and stuff

Old 08-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Glad you're really checking this out ... Yup ...9 is too old.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

I've e-mailed him and asked him why he plans on breeding such an old bitch. If he feels that she is healthy enough, because she's a hard worker, excells at the sports he trains in what.

I have a feeling though, and he somewhat implied it, that if he gets the lines he's trying for in Spain this October, he may not be breeding her. But the fact that he did mention it does appear to be a worry. (I believe your right Zoom, and he's taken this bitch out of retirement, he lost two females shortly after a trip to France so I think this is why, not that it's an excuse though)

Doberkim, whilst I respect many of your opinions, your negativity bothers me.

I did not say once, that he said Roxy SHOULD be doing schutzhund. What he said was that it sounds as though she has that competitive edge, that many schutzhund trainers look for. And he explained why.

Schutzhund is about control. Roxy is obedient. The only times she would appear unstable is when strangers go to touch her. Which has been mentioned to me, that some dogs, prefer their own pack to others.

I'm also sure that your referring to her "dominance" issues regarding the furniture, or her displeasure that she shows sometimes, when she is physically corrected for something that she does NOT want to do. I have spoken to people that have also been told their dog is having "dominance" issues and since they've spoken to many behaviourlists, and the outcome is this: Some dogs are dominant. They don't have dominant issues. They are plainly, simply dominant. You can tone down this PERSONALITY trait, by implementing methods like NILIF, and other methods used to assert your own dominance, but this will not break the dogs clearly, dominant personality. This is what I've been told.

I've tried many tactics out there, and since her recent furniture bans, and limitations, other than sometimes her lack of enthusiasm for certain activities, IMO Roxy is NOT unstable.

Roxy has never bit me. I've never been afraid that Roxy is going to bite me.

Since the furniture issue, her attitude has changed greatly. She no longer fusses about certain things that are dominant behaviours, such as showing protest getting off the couch.

So whilst, I do respect many of your opinions, even as an unexperienced dog person, even I can understand what he was trying to get at.

It is much easier to train a dog for schutz competition, to be obedient, to have control. Then to teach a submissive, obedient dog, the aggressive, vicious nature that the bite work requires.

A dog in schutz or French ring sport, that is enthusiastic about the take down will earn more points than a dog that works like a robot.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

I'm on the fence about whether I'd get a dog from this guy..Reason being, I've seen and heard of better, so why go with mediocre I guess is my thinking.

Since this guy seems to be close to you, I'd ask him if you could come visit his dogs. Won't cost you a thing but time, and you could get a feel for his dogs.

In the meantime I wouldn't rule out shipping one. I am not a big fan of shipping either, prefering to be there, meet the dogs, meet the breeder etc. but ya know sometimes things worth having are 1. worth waiting for and 2. worth doing what we may not always do.

I think if you can find a good breeder that you can really trust, that knows their stuff, then you'd feel more comfortable allowing that breeder to pick that perfect puppy for you..My last two dogs were breeder picks for me, and I have never regretted it..

Diane
Old 08-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

Jynx- He said regardless of whether I get a dog from him or not, he wants me to go see his dogs.

1. So I can meet the breed to see if I can handle them. (even if I don't plan on getting one from him)

2. To see what I think of his dogs.

I might consider shipping if I met a breeder that I really trusted, but I was hoping to find someone somewhat local, so I could work WITH them, yano? Any questions I had I could direct right to them. This man has also offered for me to train with him. So I could learn what tactics has worked best for him with the breed. He's purely motivational, he claims that corrections will shut a beauce down.

Ok, so Diane, what is better about other breeders? What do you feel is not so good about him?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Top Dog

I don't really see anything "bad" about him, and I would definately take him up on his offer to go visit his dogs.

Go with your gut! I don't know if you've checked out this site yet, but it has alot of good questions to ask a breeder http://www.beauce.org/ and lists their code of ethics and such.

I do know how you feel about wanting to find a breeder close by, it's by far, most convenient to be able to meet everyone, see the dogs etc.

That site listed above, also lists the winning dogs of past specialities, my gosh the dog that took BOB had so many titles I couldn't count them all.
diane