Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Active Pup

Well in sted of saying the "Hurry up" I have been doing that with the word.
"Bathroom!" Hummm.... News paper in the litter box. That could work.
(sigh) I know whats going to happen. Hes a puppy. Hes going to pull out all the scraps I bet. I had to buy a "pad trapper" So it keeps the pad flat on the floor so he does not chew it or bunch it up in a corner. He has been using the pad. Just not as offten as I was hoping. I'm also woundering if it would help to have a few pads down insted of one pad. It might give him more space to go on. What do you think?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Puppy Dog

Here's what I did with my puppy:
I made myself a rule -- puppy only gets to have four paws on the floor for an hour after going #1 AND #2. After that hour is up, I put him on my lap and play with him until he goes to sleep, then I put him in his crate and let him sleep. When he wakes up, I take him straight to the potty area. Then he can do whatever he wants for one hour. After that, I pick him up, keep him with me or in his crate and off the floor.

I actually wrote down what time he went and whether it was #1 or both. I made a chart to write on that had the following spaces:

Wake up
After breakfast
After morning nap
Before lunch
After lunch
After nap
Before dinner
After dinner
After nap
Before bed
Middle of the night

After a while I didn't have to worry about the intermediary spaces as he started being able to hold it longer. He still sleeps a lot and takes long naps, so when he wakes up, I take him straight to his potty spot and he goes. Using the cue word every time is a great way to work it.

I used a child's playpen with his bed, food & water dish, some toys, and potty pads on one end. When he came out of his crate, he naturally went to the opposite end to relieve himself, so that's where I put the pads.

Now I just use the play pen at night in case he needs it in the middle of the night, the rest of the time I take him outside. He has been holding it through the night for a while now! It's been working really well.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Active Pup

I was so happy a few min ago. I saw the puppy taking a poop on the pad from across the hall. As I got closer he saw me. He ran for me as the poop was hanging out of his butt. It landed on the floor. So much for being happy. :P

Yes, I like the play pen idea. The dog should enjoy his puppy hood. Not be traped in a crate all day. I guess I just need to give him more time to rember where to go.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Top Dog

What you need to do is get him trained to go outside. That is hard to do if you are encouraging him to go inside too, even if it's on paper or puppy pads. Pugs are not always the easiest dogs to housebreak so anything that is confusing to them is going to prolong the training. Sourjayne wrote pretty much what I wrote about how often you need to put him out. House training is as much about YOU being trained- learning the dogs habits and signals and timings- as it is for the pup. You have to watch them constantly. Using a playpen or other enclosure is not an excuse to not watch him and allow him to relieve himself indoors. If you can't watch him, put him in the crate, even if it's for 5 minutes. Then take him out when you let him out of the crate. If taking him out 20 times a day is too much work, well, all I can say is good luck. You need to create the good habits of going outside now, while he's young. You were worried about him marking in the house in another thread, believe me, an adult dog that is TRAINED to go to the bathroom inside is going to make your house smell far worse. By that time, it's much harder to change his habits and get him going outside. If you start now, you can probably have him completely trained in 6-8 weeks. It's a small investment to make for a happy dog and a clean house.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

I agree with Dan, and in another post you worried he wouldn't bury his droppings like a cat if you used litter and the litter would be all over??
Dogs are NOT cats, tho they can be trained to use a litterbox. But as Dan states, housebreaking is all about YOU being trained as well. Dogs do not train themselves. Dogs are usually the product of what WE as humans teach them. You will get out of him what you put into him.

Frankly I'd rather have litter all over my floor vs having dog pee and poop all over my floor.

Dan is also right, in that small dogs can be notoriously hard to housebreak, but once it's done, you won't have to worry about the future having him pee on your furniture, your bed or gosh knows what else.
Good luck
Diane
Old 08-24-2006, 10:11 PM
LabBreeder

Tira and Gunner have both been "paper-to-outdoor" dogs. Tira used paper for awhile, then went to strictly outdoors. Now that she's back with us (and an indoor dog again) she knows her place to potty is outside ONLY.

Gunner is 5 months old. He potties outside from 10am until 1 or 2am (when we go to bed). In the middle of the night (about 8 hours) he pees on his pads and will sometimes poop on them (if he didn't poop before bedtime).

Keeping Gunner on a feeding schedule helps alot with night time poops as well. He's not allowed to eat after 9pm and both get fed each morning after the first potty break.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Top Dog

Default I wouldnt' bother

I also wouldn't bother with puppy pads or newspaper or litter boxes. With Wrigley (who is about the size of a Pug) when we got him at 10 weeks his schedule (which is close to what it is now) was:

4am husband goes to work-potty break
6:30am I get up for work-potty break and breakfast
7:30am I leave for work-potty break put in crate
Noon-husband comes home for work-let out for potty and small lunch break
noon-3 out of crate playing in living room wtih someone watching at all times (with a potty break about half way through)
3-5:30pm put in crate
5:30pm I come home let him out for potty and he is allowed to be out of crate
6pm dinner
7pm walk (which of course includes potty!)
9pm potty break
11pm potty and put in crate.

I would NOT recommend making the crate bigger until the pup is MUCH older. It should be just big enough for him to turn around and lay out fully--we tried at 5 months to make the crate a bit bigger (we have a divider) and he had the first accident he had had in about a month. We just now (at 7 mo and no accidents since the 5 mo one) made it a bit bigger.

I would say with this schedule Wrigley only had about 10 accidents total in the 5 months we had him which I think is pretty good (only 1 was poo).

I also think that crating while you have to clean or are moving all around the house is perfectly acceptable.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:11 PM
and Fozzie B!

I don't feel a 3 month-old pup should be in a crate alone for more than 3-4 hours, except at night. It's just a really long time to hold it!

I do crate at night, because I feel it's much safer, until I can trust Fozzie. He could still decide to chew something up or eat something bad! My room is pretty clean, but I still sometimes leave shoes or certain "clothing items" out that he loves to chew. I agree with Sourjayne, a schedule for your pup to live by is so important! I also feel that a playpen or a secure bathroom is better than free roaming at this point in your puppy's life (he is still very young), unless you puppy-proof your e n t i r e house!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie