Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Dogs and Cats should not really be compared in intelligence. They are different species. Cats instinctively cover their waste and what better place to do that than a litterbox? That is why it is so much easier to get a kitten and "think" you have housebroken him/her. But in reality the reason they go in the litterbox is because it is more natural than going on a floor, and you really didn't have anything to do with the "housebreaking" of a cat/kitten.
With a dog it is different.

If your longterm goal is to have your pup pee and poop on pads for the rest of his life, then by all means go for it.
The problems come when someone wants to use pee pads while their pup is small and then switch to outside potty when adult. This confuses the dog and prolongs housebreaking. It is best just to forgo the pads and go to outside training. Now since you don't have a private yard it will be more difficult, but it can be done. In my opinion it just depends on what your long term goals are for your dog. If you eventually want to have NO messes in your house then go for outside from the beginning. If you want to clean up pee pads indefinately then go for "paper training".

I for one could never imagine giving an acceptable place to go in my house. But I have large dogs and my long term goal was to have NO messes in my home, I have achieved my goal with my dogs, and they are very trustworthy. I never used papers, but then again my circumstances are different than yours. Just weigh the pros and cons and make your own decisions. But always remember if your long term goal is to have outside pottiers, you will prolong this achievement by using pads.