Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

Default tricks

how can i teach poppy how to beg or speak, she knows quite a few tricks aready so how?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Snow Girl

For "speak" my guys would get frusterated if they couldn''t figure out what I wanted in order for them to get the treat so I just kept saying the command and they would run through all the commands they knew but I just kept saying "No! Speak!" after each one. Finally they would get fed up and either bark or woo and that''s when I would say "Yes!" (mark word for doing the right thing) and treat then I would repeat. They tended to catch on quick

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

nice, thanx
Old 08-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Top Dog

If that doesn't work, it worked with Roxy but not with Hades. I'd do something that I knew he would bark or make noise. Like play tug, or wrestle with him. When he made noise I marked the behaviour. Than I gave him a command. He's not a very vocal dog, and it's hard with him, but he rumbles now, no barking though.

All of our visitors love Roxy's "Bang" trick. I'll try to get a vid, but the result is. Roxy is standing. I point my finger and say "Bang!", she drops to the floor, talks like "I"m hit!", than lies on her back legs all over the place and plays dead.

I taught it in a few steps:

First: Combined my pointer finger with the command "down", if she dropped fast she got a jackpot.

Second: Once she understood, I combined "bang" as the command with my finger for her to drop. Then as she saw my finger and went to drop I said "speak" to get her to talk on the way down. She had this step down pat, when I said bang, she dropped and talked.

Third: She already knew roll over, so, even still now sometimes, if she doesn't lie on her back right away, I make a half circular motion with my finger and she'll roll on her back.

Work on it a lot, and it's an awesome company trick!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's CD
If that doesn't work, it worked with Roxy but not with Hades. I'd do something that I knew he would bark or make noise. Like play tug, or wrestle with him. When he made noise I marked the behaviour. Than I gave him a command. He's not a very vocal dog, and it's hard with him, but he rumbles now, no barking though.

All of our visitors love Roxy's "Bang" trick. I'll try to get a vid, but the result is. Roxy is standing. I point my finger and say "Bang!", she drops to the floor, talks like "I"m hit!", than lies on her back legs all over the place and plays dead.

I taught it in a few steps:

First: Combined my pointer finger with the command "down", if she dropped fast she got a jackpot.

Second: Once she understood, I combined "bang" as the command with my finger for her to drop. Then as she saw my finger and went to drop I said "speak" to get her to talk on the way down. She had this step down pat, when I said bang, she dropped and talked.

Third: She already knew roll over, so, even still now sometimes, if she doesn't lie on her back right away, I make a half circular motion with my finger and she'll roll on her back.

Work on it a lot, and it's an awesome company trick!
Ok. I HAVE to teach this to my dogs.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 08-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

me too, thanx for the tips!