Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Big Dog

The key is repitition and association. You should use the same word/words when ever you can tell they are ready to eliminate. Continueing to say the words while they are eliminating will help associate the words to that behavior.

Make sure you praise them when they finish their business. :-)

dog food recipes | dog biscuit recipes | dog treat recipes at Rover's Recipes.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

I use "poop?" because it's a word that doesn't end in an "E" sound like "cookie"! I don't think it sounds like any of the other verbal cues which I use with my dog, so it's very clear what I am suggesting when I use it.

"Gooooood poop!"

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:00 AM
Puppy Dog

I know this is a really old thread, but I've had the same question! Every time I take my puppy out (now 15wks old) I say "go potty". If he starts to go #2 I say "go poo"

I've done this every time, I swear! When I say "go potty" he will do whichever action he needs to do. If it's #2, I switch to "go poo", but I don't think he gets that one.

Yesterday I took him out and wanted to make sure he went #2. He hadn't gone in 12 hours or so, even though he'd had a meal in that time. He had plenty of opportunities, he went #1 outside twice in that twelve hour period, but no poo. I wanted to make sure he went because I was going out for about three or four hours.

I took him out, let him take his time, said both commands enough times to make me worry I was going to unteach them (he did go #1 though), then finally I gave up and went back in. I repeated this routine about 45 minutes later, still no poo.

So I guess he just didn't need to go? When I got back four hours later, I let him hang out with me for a bit, then I fed and watered him, then he took a little nap, then we went out and he finally went poo. It was really weird.

So I'm not sure if I just don't have it on command yet, or if he just thought I was crazy telling him to go poo when he didn't need to.

But I can certainly appreciate the need to have both on command... there have been times in his early housetraining days when he'd go #1 outside, then act like he was done, start playing with leaves, etc. Then once inside he'd start assuming the #2 position!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 AM
Training the Trainer

Lol this thread is funny. I love the one that says the dog loves it when it knows what you want! I would like to have that skill - to be able to go pee or go poop on command!

Nevertheless, we use two `wee-wees' and `poo-time'. Goodness knows where they came from but we deliver them differently, too - `wee-wees' in a high, questioning tone, and `poop-time!' like its something to get excited about.

**shakes head** strange people....

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 08-21-2006, 06:40 AM
Top Dog

I use wee wee and poo poo
Old 08-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Angel Chicken

Kona knows four commands when it comes to going outside.

"Wanna go out?" Makes it fun for her... gets her excited!
"Wanna go for a walk?" Same thing, gets her excited.
"Go Tinkle" to go pee
"Go poopie" for poop