Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

I don't think one should get a particular breed because they want to do a particular sport, such as agility. I think the dog needs to match your life style, personality and other attributes you like in a dog in a general way. You're not going to be doing agility 24/7. What about the rest of the time? What if you decide agility isn't your thing after all? What if you get a dog because you've been putting all your thoughts and focus into agility and you don't like the way the dog acts the rest of the time?

I think you ought to picture what kind of traits you like in a dog...as a pet and then look at several breeds. From there, as a secondary focus, discover if any one of those breeds would be good at agility. Are you sure you need to have the best at agility? They are judged according to size. I have a Doberman and he would be compared to other dogs similar to him. He could be the best of those. Who knows?

Anyhow, good luck to you and I hope you give this lots and lots of thought and research before deciding.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:45 PM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
I don't think one should get a particular breed because they want to do a particular sport, such as agility. I think the dog needs to match your life style, personality and other attributes you like in a dog in a general way. You're not going to be doing agility 24/7. What about the rest of the time? What if you decide agility isn't your thing after all? What if you get a dog because you've been putting all your thoughts and focus into agility and you don't like the way the dog acts the rest of the time?

I think you ought to picture what kind of traits you like in a dog...as a pet and then look at several breeds. From there, as a secondary focus, discover if any one of those breeds would be good at agility. Are you sure you need to have the best at agility? They are judged according to size. I have a Doberman and he would be compared to other dogs similar to him. He could be the best of those. Who knows?

Anyhow, good luck to you and I hope you give this lots and lots of thought and research before deciding.
I agree. At times, I see people who want a certain breed because of sports. IMO, that is just a bit rude to the dog--you should consider things other than sports.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Are you dead yet?

I agree with Doberluv too. The breed really does need to match your lifestyle well.
Just because you are active doesn't mean that a Border Collie is right for you. I consider their need for physical activity to be one of less importance compared to their need for mental stimulation.

Again, study up. If they match well with your personality and lifestyle, I don't think you can have a better partner and companion.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:09 PM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandogg
Another question is normal dog shows (which i know plenty of ppl on here are opposed to)....
y are so many ppl opposed to them?

Old 04-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

They aren't opposed to them...they ,who know them ,just know it's not the dog for you at this time. I would love to have one, but know I shouldn't. My lifestyle wouldn't be fair to one ....there are many breeds I'd love to have.....I'm down to golden years with golden retrievers. A good companion, gentle soul, understanding, pal who would rather hang out with mom and doesn't seem to miss what he was bred to do. Bless his heart!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:29 PM
mostly ignored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s
y are so many ppl opposed to them?
I think because so many dogs that are bred for the show ring have their awesome personalites bred out of them. The border collie for instance, for the show ring is more of a docile, delicate, "cute" dog then the farming Border collies that are meant for herding sheep in all sorts of weather. It degrades the dog and makes it less functional(in my opinion anyway). Though I guess if that is what you are really into and really love the dog it could be okay? I dunno. If I ever competed with Sunny in ANYTHING it would be frisbee or agility or something like that and even that is a little too competitive for me. I'm happy just doing that stuff with a dog, not necissarily winning a comp for it. It becomes more about what you can say you do then the dog enjoying it...strictly my opinion from what I have observed, I am sure it is not always or even often like that but some people I have met are pretty (pardon this cat people) catty about these sorts of things. I guess equate it to a beauty contest...some people are adamently apposed to them and some people go on about the self esteem it builds (riiiiight...imo they are just as if not more stupid then dog shows...atleast dog shows you get to see cute pups!)
Old 04-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Felurian

Sunny's right. It's not the shows in themselves, it's what's happening to so many of the breeds in the wake of the breeders' quest for perfect conformation and a dog that 'shows well' and is easy to handle. So much of the working abilities and unique personalities are being lost. I can see the difference in my two Filas, and Filas aren't even (thank goodness) recognized by the AKC, only by some rare breed associations and breed specific associations. Shiva's father was a show dog. She's drop-dead gorgeous, her coat is like velvet, but her temperament is lacking in several Fila characteristics and her herding instinct is lessened. She's also a more compactly built dog, having less length and more density. Kharma, on the other hand, is from purely working stock. She's longer and rangier, although her bone structure is actually heavier than Shiva's. She's faster and cuts more quickly. Her coat is rougher, but sheds water and keeps her better insulated. Her herding instincts are excellent (too strong, sometimes ), and she has the proper Fila temperament and ojeriza. Most people who aren't well versed in Fila think that Shiva is the more attractive dog - most go completely ga-ga over her. Fila people look at Kharma and remark that she's an excellent looking Fila pup. Of course, they also look at Shiva a note that she can be bred to a big, rangy male with a super-hard disposition and produce some spectacular Fila pups.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
It's not the shows in themselves, it's what's happening to so many of the breeds in the wake of the breeders' quest for perfect conformation and a dog that 'shows well' and is easy to handle.
YES YES YES!!

I am not against breeding good conformation even in working breeds like BCs but BCs should be bred with only one purpose in mind and that is STOCK WORK. Ear set, markings, head size, muzzle length and everything else takes the back burner to sound health, temperament and WORKING ability.

The trouble is that breeders try to breed what will win in the show ring, regardless of how that dog would do in the field. That's why many BC people oppose conformation showing.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:39 PM
no touchy

Quote:
I am not against breeding good conformation even in working breeds like BCs but BCs should be bred with only one purpose in mind and that is STOCK WORK. Ear set, markings, head size, muzzle length and everything else takes the back burner to sound health, temperament and WORKING ability.
I agree.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.