Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-16-2006, 07:17 PM
LabBreeder

Question 8 week old Husky pup growled at Gunner

What is the deal with this? Gunner was whining and barking and sticking his butt in the air (front end on the ground) doing his universal "I wanna play, do you?" stance. First the Huskies owner was like, "They can play as long as they don't tear each other apart." I told him the worst mine ever do is lick and jump. Tira could have cared less about this pup since I had a floppy frisbee out that we were playing with. (I had her collar off while we were playing until I saw the guy and his pup walking and put her collar back on *like a good owner*.) Anywho, Gunner wanted to play and the guy said o.k. I let him get to the end of his leash and the husky pup went behind his owner and "hid" *I guess*. When he finally got the courage to come back out, after Gunner stopped barking, this little 8 week old puppy audibly growled (not a puppy growl) and pulled on his leash trying to get at Gunner(who had stopped barking and was sitting there looking rejected).

Don't puppies inherently know that butt in the air and front end down is a play sign? Why would a pup that young show agression? Is it common of Siberian Huskies to be agressive?

Just curious. I guess I know to leave this guy and his pups alone. At least it was on a leash.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:24 PM
whatszmatter

He wasn't aggressive he was scared and unsure of the situation so he did what came naturally. Hid when he was really scared and when he thought he could bark the "bad" thing away he did. The pup just needs to be socialized more around other dogs.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:31 PM
LabBreeder

He had the most gorgeous dark green eyes. With his black masking he looked like a little demon about to strike though. Yeah, that's stereotyping, I know. He was cute...just growly unfortunately.

Gunner only wanted to play. However he's probably 60 lbs now and the pup was only 15ish. I'd probably be scared to.
Oh well, we'll leave the puppy alone.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure if it applies with such a young puppy, but I know Meg tends to get really put off by typical "retriever" play. Even when they are doing play bows and being very encouraging, she doesn't like the bouncy, in-your-face, physical way that so many labs and goldens play. It's not as if she will attack, but she tends to growl and back away. She much prefers the herding dog "quick sniff, then a game of chase" play style

Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Kiss&Tell

Aww cute!! The little puppy wanted to act all *big*.. lol

Poor Gunner.. lol
My page: http://www.myspace.com/irishdancer2
Old 08-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

Lab I know the feeling. Katie gets so upset when she wants to play and the other puppy doesnt. We'll have to let Katie n Gunnar play one day. Im sure theyd have fun

Old 08-16-2006, 09:33 PM
LabBreeder

Lord knows Gunner is all about playing.
Tira will only take so much of his "puppy antics" (about 20 minutes worth) and if he's not worn out, she gets annoyed cause he'll keep on buggin her.
There is only one other dog around here that I know would play with him and it's a golden retriever/mix. The only problem is that dog is always tied up outside with another puppy and they both bark at anything that walks by. I don't want to have them playing in a strangers back yard ya know? I've only seen the guy twice since he moved in. Both times the dogs all played together. The rest of the neighborhood dogs are either agressive towards puppies or females or yap and run away or they're old/blind.

Gunner will have to make do and play with Tira, me, Tony and some neighbors for now.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Snow Girl

Dog-agression is not typical Sibe behaviour at all. Ones that do display it or human aggression either had poor socialization or come from bad breeding or had a traumatic experience. That being siad this sounds like a fear reaction to me. Gunner''s exuberance was likely too much for this poor lil guy and he got freaked. I''m sure once he gets older and bigger and his confidence grows (providing the owner knows how to handle and combat this fear) he will be involved in lots of play sessions and be just as exuberant (but in a different style)

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"