Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-28-2006, 02:42 AM
Taters

I have a golden but my husband's aunt in Texas has one named Zena. She'e huge but a sweetheart.
Zoen age 4

Two dogs:
Duke, Barley, and Nymeria

A handful of Cats:

Always remembering:
Tate
She was the best friend I have ever had

Zuux And Martivir
They were the best cats I ever had
Old 03-28-2006, 02:43 AM
Taters

Hey does anyone know how they are with small kids (under five years old)?
Zoen age 4

Two dogs:
Duke, Barley, and Nymeria

A handful of Cats:

Always remembering:
Tate
She was the best friend I have ever had

Zuux And Martivir
They were the best cats I ever had
Old 03-28-2006, 05:38 AM
Top Dog

I wouldnt recommend it. Just because they can be a little harder to train. I am talking about if you get a pup. Just because of the jumping. I have a 9 year old. They are ok with him. But they jumped on him in the beginning. Also, there are two different breed standards in them. AkC and CKC. AKC is a lot slimmer. Bitches 65lbs to 75lbs Dogs, not over 80lbs. CKC has a much of stocky look and weighs more. I prefer the AKC look. My females are between 70-73lbs. This is the hard part though. Most breeders are AKC registered but they have the CKC look. If the breeder shows AKC then they will have that standard. I looked at many puppies and it was hard to find AKC standard. These two standards have totally different looks. They are suppose to look slendor. CKC look a lot more mastiff to me. But they are still great dogs.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Top Dog

Hello Buddy's Parent,

We have had many ridgebacks in the past, they are a bit stubborn to train in the begining, but be patient. They are natural gaurd dogs, great with children, and very much "Velcro" dogs, they follow you everywhere, even sit by the loo door waiting for you.

It is not a breed to be left alone at home all day long, it requires human contact, otherwise they can become fairly destructive. The Bitch is more of the handful than the dog, and loves to hunt.

If you do decide to buy a RR, make sure you buy from a good breeder, and check the hipscore of the parents, this could save you huge medical bills.

Depending on the application you intend to use your RR, the only negative thing about Ridgebacks is they will eat food from almost everyone, and if you intend them to gaurd/protect your livestock/farm, ect, you will need to train them not to eat from anyone except your family, otherwise they could easily be poisoned by intruders with raw meat and 2 step poison.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy ridgeback
I paid $650 for the older ridgeback $450 for the younger. They are both show quality dogs. Perfect ridge with no white on them. You can get them cheaper for pet quality but I really wanted nice ridges. The difference is about $100.

That is very cheap. In Europe, you will pay between in US about $2-2.500
Old 08-15-2006, 05:12 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Wow, this thread was resurrected! LOL.

Thanks for the advice Travis, however, we did decide to not go ahead with the RR (at least not at this point in our lives).

They are gorgeous dogs and we have one that frequents the dog park that I truly admire though!