Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Are you dead yet?

The long line is a good idea. I've tried to put Dakota's longline on Ripley but it is too heavy for him (even though it's just cotton with a lightweight snap) maybe a thinner one would be better for him.

We still do need to get him a good harness, his really sucks but I don't have the $30+ to spend on a good one at this point. I'm flat broke.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:19 AM
No Sugar Added

Quote:
Properly used, would an e-collar give me more control over him? Would it be enough so that I could let him run loose on this property and not bolt away?
Yes. And yes. A properly used e-collar can work wonders at giving a dog a reliable recall.

But honestly, he's so little that I'd just stick a 50 foot rope on him (or heck even 100 feet, hardware stores have spools of lightweight rope and you can take as much as you want) and play fetch that way. Easier and cheaper.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Are you dead yet?

*nod* I can understand that. And I suppose I could just let go of the rope and let it drag - if he decided to bolt away I could just step on it.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:54 AM
Naturally Natural

it doesnt even have to be thick rope - hes a small dog and i am sure other lighter material would work fine, like 3/8th of an inch nylon rope.

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 08-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Top Dog

Letting him drag a 50 foot lead should work. He's in a fairly secure area, right? He just can slip out of tiny openings. It shouldn't be too hard to step on his lead before he slips through one of the cracks. That sounds like a very workable plan!!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Show Dog

I like the idea of th eong light rope, something like we use with Tink, our 6 pound bundle of energy..it's amazing how long these little guys can run,eh?
Or you could set up a long zip wire clear across the yard, the kind with the pulley and leash attached so doggie can run back and forth a lot too,you'd just have to find a small enough clip for his neck
Old 08-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Are you dead yet?

I have permission to set up a zip line outside our RV, I might do that too so he can be outside more often. I can't exactly leave him alone on a leash though, because Ripley twists and turns like a contortionist until he's completely bound by his leash and is forced to lay on the ground motionless, or stand in an uncomfortable position. "Low maintainance" is not in this dog's vocabulary.

I'll hopefully pick up a long nylon or cotton rope today and see how that goes. I'm going to be gone all day so he'll have plenty of energy to burn off when I get home.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Show Dog

Ok, here's my bad owner story of the day... I was letting Tink race around after a ball without any long lead...(lazy me) she had a reg. leash attached, and was dragging it...anyway, the BIG boxer/pitbull mix tied next door started barking, and Tink, for the first time decided to take off over there and investigate!
She is 5 months(rotten teen) And completely ignored my 'come" and ran straight to the widly barking dog,he lunged, she ducked back just out of his reach, when i finally managed to grab her leash.
The sad thing is, she showed no fear or barking till I grabbed it,( I had to, Bowzer was going nuts, we were in his yard) so all my work with her, getting her to be unafraid and behave well around strange dogs, out the window in 30 seconds!
It's all my fault, for letting her run around without a reliable come...
Once I had her leash ,she too went crazy,and I learned my lesson, while slapping my own head..... can't be lazy.....