Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Alpha Dog

Some people just don't like dogs... it is sad but true.
I got a great laugh reading Shredheads post, I would be throwing punches too!
I can just see it.....

Chazhound
Old 08-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Dog Spoiler

Well I'm only 16 and I don't know how our law works. Normally when I hear about fights at school, someone goes to jail or something. I would have pressed charges but I didn't want to risk myself getting in trouble. It also looks suspicious when I beat up a guy around 10 years older than me.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

I have a pit bull too ashmore and the things I hear omigoodness... I was out with my dog in a park and a woman comes up to me (mind you this old hag works in a HUMANE SOCIETY!) and tells me that I should not be taking my pit bull out in public, that these dogs should be banned and should not exist at all. I tried to reason with her and educate her on the breed in a friendly and rational manner, but she jumped out at me saying that she has worked with these dogs and how evil they are?! Can you imagine someone working at a humane society with that kind of breed discrimination and attitude? Nice to know the people that are supposed to be spreading good words and positive images of discriminated breeds are actually contributing to the false media stereotypes and other problems! She should be fired from that place...
Old 08-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Dog Spoiler

Isn't it the other way around? The pitbulls she's handled haven't been outside socializing so they're agressive. Socialize them and they're just as friendly as any other dog.

If someone came up and said something like that to my dog than I'd probably argue with him till he finally agreed with me.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Puppy Dog

Smile RE pepper spraying of dogs

Hi tl ashmore,

I want to say that I feel bad that because of the labeling you get because you have a pitbull. It really truthfully is how those dogs are raised, as in any dog for that matter. I have come across many of rotties and pitbulls with my walking experience, and I also note when people tell you what type of dog they have sometimes they are a little quietter when mentioning those two types. I always ask to pet them, surprised looks on many of the owners faces. They are great dogs! You give your pups a huge pet for me, it is absolutely awful how some people are because of ignorance!

Beth
Old 08-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Are you dead yet?

Pitbulls get such a bad rap because of the ignorant and irresponsible (STUPID) people who buy/adopt them and expect a golden retriever. Pits, when socialized, are fabulous dogs, but like any other dog, they'll become aggressive if they aren't exposed to people, dogs, and various surroundings and situations... It's infuriating that someone will harm a dog that did nothing to them, just because they're afraid of the breed.

I'm only 14, so I don't have much say in the laws, and not many people I meet listen to me because of my age, but if I could just get them to, they'd stop stereotyping breeds...

EDIT: And pitbulliest, people like that woman have no place working at humane societies, where the belief is "Every dog deserves a chance".
Old 08-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Yeah I definately agree with you on that one. Thanks for the support everyone its good to know you guys know more about pit bulls then alot of the general public
Old 08-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredhead (DOG LOVER)
Well I'm only 16 and I don't know how our law works. Normally when I hear about fights at school, someone goes to jail or something. I would have pressed charges but I didn't want to risk myself getting in trouble. It also looks suspicious when I beat up a guy around 10 years older than me.
Shredhead, your poor dogs just seem to be the focus of idiots, don't they? You acted reasonably and shouldn't have had to fear any reprisals from the legal system. This person not only was trespassing and assaulted your dogs, but it was reasonable to assume that this person meant physical harm to you or he wouldn't have disabled your dogs.

In most places, I believe the statute of limitations on an assault is probably a year. You'd have to check; the easiest way is by speaking to someone in the district attorney's office. It's a lot more serious when an adult assaults a minor, too. Of course, you have to bear in mind the prejudices and power structure of the place you live. Was this guy by any chance related to the person who was trying to force you to get rid of your dogs?

I'd love to have seen you give that jerk a pounding!