Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

Caza and Neeko both have there CGC. I'm working on Joe now, and as soon as Hondo is old enough I'll get his too.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgurl6254
Andy will be tested when he is a year old. I want to get him certified so I can move on to use him as a therapy dog
I don't think they have to have a CGC before they can become certified as a TD. The tests are very similar, just with some other stuff thrown in for the TD (food on the floor, the strange person, objects like crutches or wheelchairs).

When we were doing our one class, it was at a hospital for the chronically ill, so we were exposed to all kinds of people with disabilities. A good dog will take it all in stride. Our trainer was pushing Gunnar and I do do therapy work because he was so calm around everyone, and they all loved him. We decided not to because he didn't seem happy with the sit around and wait aspect of it. Plus for me, it was a bit depressing. I didn't realize how starved for companionship some of these people are- they were happy to have anyone to talk to. Not that I didn't enjoy their company or making them feel better, but the whole environment was a little depressing for me. That sort of work is not for everyone.