Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Puppy Dog

Default I learned the very hard way...

that my Missy is allergic to ... cucumber!! The other night, I fed her a slice from my salad, and about 5 minutes later, her face, specially her eyes popped out like .. Kermit the Frog's, her whole body swelled up like a baloon, and she's scratching all over due to hive, and itches.

I immediately took her to the emegency hospital, and they kept her there for almost 7 hours before releasing her back to me. (I picked her up at 2:30 a.m. in the morning, and the poor little thing was soooooo happy as if she must have thought I'd abandoned her!!). The vet told me that should I bring her to him a couple minutes late, she could have stopped breathing and die! I had never been so scare in my entire life!!

Thing is, cucumber is NOT part of the bad-things-for-dogs list, but it's deadly to Missy. How do I know what else she's allergic to to avoid them in the future?? I absolutely do not want to go thru what I did early on, but don't want to keep her away from all fruits and veggies either.

Any ideas?

Last edited by ca_dao; 08-08-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

Oh no! Sorry to hear about that.

My little guy LOVES cucumber. I gave him some last night.

Unfortunately, as with children, it's basically trial and error until you find all of her allergies. If I were you, I would be careful with feeding her any members of the gourd family.

Have you ever tried canned pumpkin with her food? A lot of us give it to our dogs to soothe their stomachs, but it might not be such a great idea for you.