Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Default Would like to change dog food........

I would like to change dog foods, primarily because I want to find something that he will enjoy more while being a good, healthy dog food.

I will admit that we created a dog who prefers 'food' other than his dog food because we have given him so many treats. Part of this is because he was such a handful as a puppy that we were constantly click and treating him!!

At any rate, we ended up with a fairly active 2 year old dog that could stand to lose a few pounds. We switched to Light and Weight Management foods, and cut out the treats. He is where he needs to be now.

He has always been on Nutro Natural Choice (?). We did try switching around to a few different foods to find one he would like better. We weren't doing it the right way.....slowly introducing the food. I have another thread in Dog Health about him being sick. The vet seems to think he has a sensitive stomach, sometimes stress-induced, and I think we were making it worse by switching his dog food after every bag!!

We're now ready to just find a dog food, introduce it the right way, and get him settled.

Would you recommend Nutro Ultra? Chicken Soup? The pet store owner also showed us one that is all protein, no oatmeal, rice or grain of any type. I can't remember the brand.

What is the best? What is the best when price needs to be considered, too?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Top Dog

You can feed much better food than nutro for cheaper. Solid Gold, Eagle Pack, Canidae, Innova, Innova EVO are all very good choices. You don't really have to change food slowly when you switch to a better food, but diarrhea is expected... it shouldn't last.

Just be aware that for most of those foods, you will probably have to feed half less of what you've been feeding. I don't think you will need a 'light' food, just feed less of it and it should be fine.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

For a picky eater (our fault for all the treats) is there one that is supposed to be particularly tasty along with being a very good food?
Old 08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Bobsk8

My dog loves this Natural Balance and it is supposed to be excellent for the sensitive stomach type dog.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...as/VenDog.html
Old 08-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I agree with Fran all the foods she mentioned are very good foods. Hannah also has a very sensitive stomach so maybe try mixing in some canned pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie filling but the pure pumpkin).

Old 08-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Big Dog

My pup is really picky and out of those choices he likes Canidae the most.

Proudly owned by:
Wolfie- Papillon
Tigger- Grey Tabby cat
Rink, Dink & Bart- Ferrets
Duke- Horse
Jack- Blue & Gold Macaw