Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Felurian

I've known several people who had Irish Setters. They all worked and their kids went to school, and their dogs seemed quite well adjusted and had free range in the house. I think there was a lot of couch-napping going on

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-05-2006, 07:38 PM
I Love My Belgian

I don't often recommend Belgians, but if you are going to consider them at all during your research, a low-drive Belgian may fit your situation. They are very active outside, but couch potatoes indoors. They are good being left alone provided they are left with some sort of stimulation, but if you want to keep it outside during the day, I'd recommend one from American lines rather than European, as European Belgians are quite the alert barkers. You would have to make sure it came from a good breeder though, and the breeder should tell you what type of drive it is, as the more drive, the more difficult the dog is. Low drive Belgians can fit almost any situation, they adapt very well.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (aka "Toller")
I like Tollers!
There are also
Flat coated Retrievers
Curly coated retrievers
Chessapeaks

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsoul
I don't often recommend Belgians, but if you are going to consider them at all during your research, a low-drive Belgian may fit your situation. They are very active outside, but couch potatoes indoors. They are good being left alone provided they are left with some sort of stimulation, but if you want to keep it outside during the day, I'd recommend one from American lines rather than European, as European Belgians are quite the alert barkers. You would have to make sure it came from a good breeder though, and the breeder should tell you what type of drive it is, as the more drive, the more difficult the dog is. Low drive Belgians can fit almost any situation, they adapt very well.
I don't know. I love Belgians, but I think there is a high likelihood they would get one that would not fit them well at all. Belgians are such intelligent dogs, and intelligent dogs being left alone can spell disaster. This breed can be a real handful for the inexperienced, or those that will need to leave the dog home alone a lot.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

We had a beautiful Irish setter from great breeding once.... He was as loving as could be..... just had a bunch of bricks in his head instead of brains. Most aren't the brightest bulb in the kennel !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by bubbatd; 08-07-2006 at 08:09 PM. Reason: cf
Old 08-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Felurian

No, Setters aren't known for being the sharpest knife in the drawer, but they do have such lovely dispositions and most people I've known who lived with them said they were easy to train and very easy to live with . . . and they are so affectionate and gently fun-loving.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Top Dog

When my Dad went off to WW2 , we ended up having to " lend " him a couple for a few years.... he became very vindictive and destructive.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Felurian

They do get attached!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian