Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Big Dog

were you able to create weave polls with PVC? i guess with the right joint pieces it could be used for training purposes, or have you found some way to make the vertical poles bounce back after the dog goes through?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:55 AM
Felurian

I haven't done one yet, although I've been contemplating and scribbling for awhile. Somehow the idea of a Fila doing agility is just perverse enough to appeal to me. Shiva could physically handle any course very well, but she's so big and strong that in her mind the best way to tackle an obstacle is to go right through it!

Quite awhile back I found and posted some web addresses on the subject of agility equipment, and I think one of them was a site that showed how to build your own. I'll look for it later, but if one of you finds it first, why don't you start a new thread and re-post it so we can find it again more easily.

And that makes me think, CHAZHOUND, any chance of setting up a search capability here? It would be great if we could run searches within the forum using key words.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:26 PM
Active Pup

Hi MEG126, just a quick suggestion. We've got a young border collie X spaniel who sometimes gets very excited as you described your dog does, and we think the reason is that he gets agitated or bored. He is a very lively dog and very hard to wear out as I'd imagine your dog is. We take him out for two runs a day on top of normal lead walks. We used to just walk around with him and let him play on his own, but a little while ago we tried a ball on a rope and have found that he really loves playing fetch - and he comes back from his walks pretty tired out now. At first we had to use two seperate balls to encourage him to drop them for us, but now he is really good with them and it's improved his behaviour while we're out - he's not so interested in running across the other side of the field to meet the other dogs! Also we have been trying to train him some basic tricks to keep his mind working. We've definitely found that the more time we can spend either physically or mentally stimulating him, then the less excitable he gets.

Anyway, good luck with everything.

Last edited by DJ Lucid; 07-10-2004 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 07-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Big Dog

yea- i've taught penny some pretty neato tricks (i could be sort of biased though) like taking bows, and she gives fabulous high fives- also now that she's learned what 'over' means from our little jumping training, i can get down on all fours and she'll jump over me. that's my favorite. and it's obvious she's really smart and she can catch on to these tricks- (any other suggestions of new tricks?? anybody??) we're just having issues with the whole come thing because we trained her wrong and now we just need to take the time to re-train her- i've already gotten great advice on here about how to go about doing that, just need to get to it! (i think i need to start that this week- sounds like a plan!). people have always said that goldens calm down substancially after a certain age and i think penny (she's just turned three) has finally started to do so.. (i'm getting more ideas in my head, so i think i might actually start a new thread for this) but she still has lots of energy and playfulness (calm certainly doesn't mean do nothing!) so i'm gonna have to concentrate on getting this re-training of 'come' started so we can get that acomplished asap.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Hannah & Cole's Mom

Agility training sounds like a great idea for your dog. Those two breeds are indeed high motivated working breeds. Your dog needs a "job" to do and training could be the answer. One of my dogs is a mixed breed that we got from a rescue group. We were originally told she was part Lab and part Golden retriever. After getting her to the vet....it turns out that she part sighthound, with maybe some spaniel, pointer or some other type of hunting dog. What you describe in your original post above sounds like our dog when we first got her. She was NUTS. She would want to play all the time and if you walked by her and tried to ignore her she would lunge out and bite you on the behind. I was at my wits end until I finally talked with my vet. She suggested obedience classes and it's made quite a tremendous difference. That was two years ago and she is a wonderful dog now.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Alpha Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
And that makes me think, CHAZHOUND, any chance of setting up a search capability here? It would be great if we could run searches within the forum using key words.
Sure, If you look at the top of the page there should be a 'search' link in the forum menu bar. Click on it and just type the keyword in the box and it will search the forum. Works great. There is also an advanced search.

Chazhound
Old 08-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Are you dead yet?

Personally, I wouldn't put an aggressive dog in agility. Neither would I feel comfortable attending an agility class in which there is an aggressive dog. My advice is to find out exactly what his problem is, first. If it's just a lack of exercise, then he's fine. If he doesn't stop completely when he's getting plenty of physical and mental stimulation, there's a behavioral problem beyond just boredom.

In the meantime, RUN HIM until he drops, and then make him "sit, down, sit, down, sit, down" for mental stimulation, and he can't be biting you when he's sleeping, now can he?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Felurian

You can do agility on your own, in your own backyard. It isn't necessarily a team sport. It's probably easier to learn without the distractions of other dogs, too.

Going through training reviews is a good idea, but for many breeds, and many individual dog personalities there's a boredom threshhold they reach pretty quickly if you're just repeating the same things over and over. Some dogs are completely happy to do just that, but others (like my bunch) will look at you like you've lost your mind and either yawn and ignore the whole thing after awhile or will do their best to get YOU distracted!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:51 PM
Are you dead yet?

LOL, true, Ripley always winds up giving me that "aw, c'mon, lady, not this routine again" look.
This sounds like a smart dog, so if that bores him, don't waste your time. Also, I think you mentioned he was part Border collie? Teach him some cool tricks!! Nothing stimulates a dog's mind like learning new tricks, and he'll enjoy the treats and praise he gets in return. Plus, Border Collies and BC mixes are usually smart as whips, and learn in a flash.