Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-03-2006, 04:58 AM
Big Dog

Default How often should I walk Stogie?

Since my last thread was on its 5'th or 6th page, I decided to start a different one with this question.

I have a (almost) 1 year old Doxun, we're still housetraining him... and he's getting better but no where near perfect
Right now he's going out about every 2 hours (g/t), but when school starts back up, he'll be crated for longer lengths of time between walks. I know he's not going to make a mistake in the crate, and ultimately my goal is to be able to get him to hold it while roaming the house - the same way he does in the crate.

Now, even walking him every 2 hours or so (8 or more times a day OUTSIDE) he'll still make mistakes in the house... just today, he was crated - we took him out, he did pee-pee outside ... we praised him, treated him. We came back inside, about an hour or so later, he started to go #2 right in front of me. No warning, no cry by the door---just BOOM, squat and go right in front of me. I yelled NO! STOGIE NO! picked him up (not before we "air bombed" the carpet {and nearly my shoes} mind you), took him outside where he finished and I treated him, praised him etc... (which was hard for me, since I was litterally staring at him and the front door and he gave me NO WARNING to go outside...but I praised him as I've been told DO NOT reprimand him when he makes mistakes, praise the outside which I did)

I'm trying to do all the right things here, and I know it can quickly become more about me than the dog, but.............. The point to the thread is, if walks every 2 hours arent enough... once the kids go back to school - walks will be less frequent than they are now! WHAT THEN!?

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 08-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

I try to give my 4 and 1/2 month old little guy a 20-30 minute walk in the morning and a 30-40 minute walk in the evening. There is also some serious "fetch" time in there and a lot of indoor playtime. We've found that if we don't give him enough exercise he gets bored and destructive.

We've also discovered that he will go #1 almost as soon as he gets outside, but to make him go #2 we have to "induce" it. Sometimes that means walk to a certain spot, other times (like two nights ago at 1 a.m.) it means walk him for 20 minutes.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Big Dog

So you're only walking him (bathroom walks) twice a day!? WOW!

We're walking (bathroom walks) Stogie, a nearly 1 year old Dachshund, 6 to 8 times a day EASILY.. including once first thing in the morning, once before bed time/lights out, after his morning meal and his evening meal, plus a couple of times in between.... and we're still having accidents

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture