Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

I've always left my dogs out in the yard for as long as they want to be outside . Fenced in of course. Never when I'm not at home though . I would hate to live in fear of having them stolen and not giving them the quality of life they enjoy. Even when mine had 8 wooded acres and a stream to roam in the country , where would they be ??? In the kitchen with me .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

We don't have a fenced yard, but we used to tie the dogs out for an hour or so when the weather was nice. Then the neighbors Rott started coming in our yard because they didn't supervise her. This was after she had killed another small dog. So we quit doing that, and now it's just supervised leash walks.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

Katie is lazy and prefers to stay in and sleep during the day. She likes to be outside at night, but we never leave her outside while we're gone. Id be panicked knowing she wasnt in the house. She can come and go when she wants though, like Grammy Im just the door opener.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi
There is also a neighborhood boy who is 6 and runs all over town by himself. He will come in our yard without asking and when the the dogs bark he'll get in their face and go "What you barkin at? Ya wanna FIGHT!"
What a little turd. You should tell his parents about invisible fence systems. *Giggle*

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-31-2006, 03:01 PM
tessa_s212

We have a doggy door and a huge fenced backyard. The dogs are allowed to come and go as they please. Most like to spend their time inside. But, we do have three that like to spend more time outside than everyone else. Marq, Misha, and Summer. Marq and Misha go out to play and chase birds, and Summer just likes to sun bathe.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:59 PM
borgorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview
What a little turd. You should tell his parents about invisible fence systems. *Giggle*
Wow. That's alot of dogs. Do they sleep in or outside?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

It would definitely depend on where I lived if I left the dogs out unattended. There could be the risk of theft or the dogs being shot at or who knows what?

I know a Dobe breeder who let her dogs run in their pasture and was outside, but went in for just a moment to get some doggie treats out of the oven. When she returned, one her dogs, a very valuable and loved champion show bitch was gone. It broke her heart. She said that the dog was so friendly that she'd go with anyone. From then on she decided to train them to not go with anyone. This was in a countryish place, but still somewhat nearer to the city....more populated than where I am.

Where I am, stuff like that just doesn't happen. There's virtually no crime. I leave my doors unlocked when I leave if it's not for a long time. You can leave your car running by the little store or leave you keys in the ignition. It's still like that here. But I don't feel safe still leaving them if I'm gone. My place doesn't have a good fence, only a partial one and there are wild animals around...back up in the hills behind me. So, if I go anywhere, even for a short time, they're always inside. And there is still a tiny risk of theft...not so much local people, but tourists. It could happen, although not too likely. But in the city, I wouldn't take my eyes off of them.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Puppy Dog

I don't leave my dog outside unless I am with him. He's not used to wander on the streets so I try to keep an eye on him all the time.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:39 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

I leave them out for a little while, but not everday and not that long. They actully seem to enjoy their time outside! but not too long!
where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
~Milan Kundera
Old 08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Water Junkie

We leave our dogs outside while we are gone on trips(we live in a VERY safe neighborhood with people that we know all around us). We have a dog door that goes from the back yard(we have a big fenced in yard)to the garage where their food, toys, milk bone, water, beds, ect are. Then we have neighbors that are watching them all the time when we are gone then once a day we have a pet sitter come over in the yard and garage to make sure that they have plenty of water and food and to of course PLAY and love on our doogies!!! Our dog do go out by them selves but most of the time(since it is very hot in Alabama in the summer time)stay in the house.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l