Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Active Pup

Default Help with care for adopted adult dog.

I'm a soon to be an owner of a 2 years old golden retriever, she was abandoned and was taken by a local animal care center. She is really friendly and in a good condition thanks the center. I adopted her already and suppose to take her next week, but i never own a dog, and i have no idea how to care for a puppy, more ever mine is an adult dog. I need help on how i should i care and train the dog, should i take care and train her like a puppy or is there a different way for adult dog? Please advice, thanks...
Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Bobsk8

I just adopted a 2 year old dog about 6 weeks ago. They told me at the place where I adopted her, that she might take a couple of days to adapt to my home since she had been in their care for many months. I took her out frequently in the beginning as if she were a puppy and over the course of a couple of days I gradually reduced the frequency of going out to 3 times a day. She has never had an accident in the house since day one and slept thru the night in my bedroom right from the beginning. Feed her at the same time each day ( I feed mine after her early morning "long walk" and at dinner time), and you will soon learn the dogs pattern. Good luck with your new friend.