Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Puppy Dog

Default how often to feed

My pup is 10.5 weeks now..I feed at 7,12,6...she eats...but poops at least 6 times a day..is this normal..and its firm...but she has accidents cuz I will take her out..then 20 mins later..a poop accident

I guess I want to know ...am I feeding too much or too often?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Quigleyfied

At that age, 3 meals per day are appropriate and I wouldn't recommend feeding less often. Your dog's stomach doesn't have the capacity yet. Stool volume depends (among other things) on the digestibility and fiber content of the food you are feeding.

If there are accidents, you aren't planning your dog's potty schedule correctly. Keep a journal and write down the exact time you feed, water and give treats. Also write down every time you take your dog outside to potty, whether she peed or pooped, and the time of any accidents that occur.

Within a few days you should be able to very accurately predict when your dog has to go outside, so you can prevent accidents.

Also, never let your dog have run of the house unsupervised. If you can't keep an eye on her, crate her or put her in an exercise pen.

The more accidents your dog has, the longer it will take you to housetrain her. Preventing accidents from happening is key.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Rusty but Trusty

yes I agree with Mordy. I fed my lab 3 meals at that age too and didn't switch to two meals a day until about 6 months of age. She's still on two meals a day now, one morning and one evening. When you take her outside try playing with her and getting her to run around that should stimulate her to go potty. If you know she's gotta go potty then don't go back in until she goes and as she is going say "go potty" or whatever phrase you use so she'll understand what you mean when you say it. Immediately after give praise, and a treat if you use them. She looks like a smaller breed and sometimes they take longer to housebreak than large breeds as well.