Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 07-27-2006, 02:07 AM
Top Dog

Default Help with new kitten and dog!

I was lucky enough to be able to get a Sphynx kitten from the breeder's current litter, and we picked him up yesterday. We have named him Moyo, which is African for *spirit*. He is gorgeous, and is already full of personality .

My question is this... When we introduced him to our 4 year old Frenchie, Phoebe was as good as gold and took him completely in her stride. He, on the other hand, does a little hissing and growling thing when she comes near him. She has not provoked him, or even gone close to him, so I don't know why he feels this way . How should I handle it???? I am scared that if he attacks her, she may become fearful of him, and I would like them to ultimately be buddies.

I would love to hear from any of you that may have some advice, as I am really keen to have this relationship work out.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Mutts to you

Give him some time... he's a kitten, he's been uprooted and he needs to settle in. If your dog is pretty laid back about the whole thing, he'll soon learn she's not a threat.
Our usual cat intro has the new addition in a room (we're usually adding feral cats to the household) with the door closed for a couple of days while they get used to the idea of a new place. Then we place a screen in the doorway so the new cat can look out and see the other cats and dogs but can't be hassled by anyone. When everyone seems pretty calm about the whole thing, then we let the new addition out to join the household. Works pretty well for us...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

Thanks Snark - I suppose I was being rather impatient with the whole situation ! I am just really keen to make this whole thing work.

I am letting them get used to one another very gradually, just having them hang out in the same room, and as you said, letting the kitten see that Phoebe is no threat at all. I make sure I am with them all the time, to make sure that nobody gets hurt. I am really proud of Phoebe and how she is handling the new addition .

BTW, change of name. He is now called Gollum, for pretty obvious reasons .
Old 07-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

Cute name! I would pick up a Feliway Plug in or two. They are expensive but work wonderfully. They help with all sorts of major or minor behavior problems and help cats adjust quicker.

Do you have a picture of him? I bet he is adorable!