I think my dog is pregnant.

Fran27

Great decision! At least you won't have to worry about this happening anymore. Glad she doesn't seem to be pg though!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Sorry no update for so long. My phone line's been down.
We took Lucy to the vet and she was spayed. She's healing really well and we're taking great care to keep her comfortable. :)
The vet said when they opened er up she was in heat. She looked sooo pregnant and gained 4 pounds only to lose them again in a week. That's weird because at her highest she was at 13 pounds. :confused:

Last edited:

bubbatd

Glad all's well .... give her a Grammy hug and a lick from Ollie !

Last edited:
B

BlackDog

Momof2Pups said:
My dog Lucy is a small, just under 10 pounds. Little did we know, before her heat we didn't know she had started it that early then and had been with the neighbor's unneutered chow mix during a play date. This wasn't intended, and we are going to do our very best with the pups. No spay/neuter lectures please. She's going to be spayed as soon as she is through this. Now several weeks later, she's gaining weight, her abdomen is starting to swell, her nipples are slightly larger, she's sleeping more, and she's eating more. If she's pregnant, can I expect birthing problems because of the great size difference?
If she is pregnant and even if she does have a c-section if can be damagining to her health, if not kill her, to carry a litter that large to term.

BlackDog said:
If she is pregnant and even if she does have a c-section if can be damagining to her health, if not kill her, to carry a litter that large to term.
When threads are this long, you should skim through at least the last page and see what the updates are. She already knows this and her dog has been determined not pregnant and spayed :)

B

BlackDog

AnimalLoverCatRescuer said:
When threads are this long, you should skim through at least the last page and see what the updates are. She already knows this and her dog has been determined not pregnant and spayed :)
I just finished it now. I almost always skim, but of course the one time I didn't..::Snaps fingers::..I get called out.

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Why wasnt this dog spayed from the day she became part of the household? You could have avoided a nasty scare had she been spayed from the day she was in your possesion. But yep Im glad she is not pregnant, tiny bitch and huge dog spells disaster no matter how you put it

BlackDog said:
I just finished it now. I almost always skim, but of course the one time I didn't..::Snaps fingers::..I get called out.
Hey no biggie, I noticed that between this and the other (cat) forum I am part of, a LOT of people don't! So I just wanted to point it out. I guess it really wasn't necessary of me to do that, but oh well!

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
The genetics there could lead to pups so large that they could rupture the uterus. That is a very unnatural size difference. I agree that you need to get her in to the vet to verify that she's pregnant and that she doesn't have either a false pregnancy or begininng pyometra.

colliewog said:
The genetics there could lead to pups so large that they could rupture the uterus. That is a very unnatural size difference. I agree that you need to get her in to the vet to verify that she's pregnant and that she doesn't have either a false pregnancy or begininng pyometra.
The dog is spayed already :)

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
....still waiting to know. Why wasnt this dog spayed from the moment she became part of your family? Would have avoided all this worry for you

LizzieCollie said:
....still waiting to know. Why wasnt this dog spayed from the moment she became part of your family? Would have avoided all this worry for you
No point in going over what could have been done in the 1st place, the OP learnt from her mistake and now the dog is spayed and all is good :)

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
oh dont get me wrong i wasnt trying to be mean, just really curious because I believe she was a rescue (shelter or elsewise?) so I would think she would have been spayed already

LizzieCollie said:
oh dont get me wrong i wasnt trying to be mean, just really curious because I believe she was a rescue (shelter or elsewise?) so I would think she would have been spayed already
I know you weren't trying to be mean :)
Just don't see the point in going over old ground now that all is fixed :)

mjb

I'm not sure where her dog came from, but all shelters don't spay/neuter. I've had my dog for 2 years. I got him as a puppy from a shelter who had us sign a contract to have him neutered at 6 months of age. They gave us a voucher to pay for it, and they called when they thought our vet should have sent the voucher in and hadn't! (We had the neuter scheduled for a few days later).

We got our kitten from a different shelter, and they would not send the kitten home before they neutered him.

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
yep ive heard of shelters that dont spay/neuter right away but give out a voucher. I find that irresponsible. What if you decide you dont want to alter your dog? Will they take it away?

What if you schedule a spay a months away, dog goes into heat and she becomes pregnant? Now i know that many people will say 'well go ahead and spay/abort anyway' But there are also many people like myself that have been raised to believe abortion is wrong and will not spay the bitch.

Or what if your unaltered shelter pup gets lose and impregnantes 2 or 3 bitches?

Shelters should really change that policy. Ive been to two of our shelters here in Puerto Rico and both spay/neuter before having the pets go home. Some people are too lazy and irresponsible to get it done.

Members online

No members online now.