Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Quigleyfied

Personally I don't think it's necessary 100% of the time, and certainly not everyone who has an unaltered dog and doesn't compete or breed is irresponsible.

It's very much related to cultural background, which varies from country to country.

For instance, I lived in Germany until 1999, where spaying and neutering dogs is not as common a thing as in the U.S., but unlike here, there isn't as huge of an overpopulation problem due to better breeding practices, more intervention from breed clubs, minimal sales of dogs in pet stores, less of a "throwaway minded" society and so on.

My current dog is the first altered one I've ever owned (in 25 years) and I honestly can't say that managing unaltered dogs is as much of a problem as some people make it out to be, but I guess that very much depends on the responsibility of the owner.

Overall I'm very much pro spay/neuter, simply because there are too many uneducated pet owners out there for whom it is better to not have to deal with unaltered dogs, both in regards to behavior and reproduction.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!