Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Common foods causing itching

So..been reading alot and wonder what foods everyone has eliminated that they feel causes their dog to itch. Abby itched ALOT when I got her..she was on Nutro Ultra. So--switched to Natural balance duck and potato--itching is gone by at least 50%. So..now I need to figure out what it is.Anyone have experience with Solid Gold"barking with the moon?"--just curious for future reference.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Herding dogs rock!!!

I can't really answer your question, but I just wanted to say that my puppy also itched a lot when he was fed Nutro Ultra. I've since switched him to RC and is has stopped totally.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Golden Love

All low quality foods will promote itching.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Mark Twain

Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
-Lewis Grizzard

Old 07-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

I've heard great things about the Solid Gold brand, but I have no personal experience. You're on the right path by being on a single protein food (Duck).

How often do you wash your dog? Is he allergic to anything in the house? Does the itching decrease when you are in any particular environments?

It isn't always food related, but switching couldn't hurt. I'm not a fan of the fact that potato is the first ingredient (not meat) in the Natural Balance, as well as the high salt content. Have you thought about California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato? What about Canidae Chicken and Rice?

http://www.naturapet.com
http://www.canidae.com
Old 07-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrieverLove
All low quality foods will promote itching.
Not true....that is a very broad statement We fed our first sheltie kibbles and bits his entire life. Although he was overweight, he never had itching problems.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel
I've heard great things about the Solid Gold brand, but I have no personal experience. You're on the right path by being on a single protein food (Duck).

How often do you wash your dog? Is he allergic to anything in the house? Does the itching decrease when you are in any particular environments?

It isn't always food related, but switching couldn't hurt. I'm not a fan of the fact that potato is the first ingredient (not meat) in the Natural Balance, as well as the high salt content. Have you thought about California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato? What about Canidae Chicken and Rice?

http://www.naturapet.com
http://www.canidae.com
Oh...didn't think about the potatoe being first ingredient...but I do top it off with Innova Evo..duck canned. The itching has subsided tons since switching but I just noticed ALOT of people talking about their dogs itching. The things I question are of course the grains,then Sunflower oil,then chicken. Scared to try any of these.
Mordy..is Natural Balance not as good as say Solid Gold Barking with the moon?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Primary versus secondary food allergies

The main food allergens are the gluten grains (WHEAT, barley, and rye), dairy products, soy and corn. These are what I call the "big 4"...the four foods that can do damage to the intestinal villi, during which process the food allergies are formed. This is known fact.

What is also known fact is that once the damage is done and the natural barriers of the intestine are disrupted, ANY foods (proteins) passing through that damaged area are subject to the allergic response. That is why celiacs (gluten intolerants) like myself are notorious for having multiple food allergies. Some are allergic to 20, 30 and even 50 foods and commonly allergic to foods that are otherwise healthy for us.

This is where the uniform nature of commerical diets becomes a real problem. If a food contains wheat, corn, lamb and rice (like sooooo many puppy chows and adult foods do now), then you can see what happens...the wheat and corn damage the gutin sensitized individuals and the immune system then latches onto the lamb and rice. As a result of this all-too-common scenario, I see LOTS and LOTS of lamb and rice alllergies.

The starting point for the treatment of ALL allergy sufferers is the elimination of all of the "big 4". Most do well once that is accomplished. If not, then the fastest way to an answer is food allergy testing ( I use VARL in California) to determine the secondary food allergies that the individual has developed. Other than that, it is pretty much guess work.

A great alternative is the use fo potato-based foods with novel protein, such duck, venison, or rabbit and potato. I prefer the IVD line at this point as they are made in a dedicated facility where they only make these foods, minimizing cross contamination.

Hope this helps,
John

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." 1 Corinthians 13: 9,10

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease" Thomas Edison
Old 07-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks dogtor..I agree,,,since swithching mine to Natural Balance duck and potatoe...itching is down at least 50%..which is a big improvment considering some itching is just plain normal. What is your thought on that food..I do top off with salmon oil and also evo duck canned. Now..here is my question...should I never switch foods then? I also agree with the dairy: it seems that alot of the good ones like Innova ,Eagle pack and Natural Variety add eggs,cottage cheese...dairy.
I would like some other options at some point though....variety
Old 07-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Quigleyfied

Natural Balance makes good quality foods, my only reservation is that their potato & duck and sweet potato & fish formulas are very low in protein, only 21%. That is not something I would let go unsupplemented.

If you have a problematic dog and you want to use dry food as a main staple, I'd recommend sticking with one brand that works and providing variety by adding fresh foods.

Another alternative would be The Honest Kitchen dehydrated products, for example the "preference" with fresh meat added.
http://thehonestkitchen.com/comparison.htm

As a side note: eggs don't have anything to do with dairy products. Dairy products are made from milk.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Puppy Dog

Mordy..I am so new at this..I am getting dogfood phobia!!!! Anyway..since my pup seems to have some itchy issues..what meats would you reccomend I add to that preference honest kitchen??Thank You