Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Top Dog

Default The food to feed

I have two main questions on food.
First what food to feed. I have read a lot on here but I need some solid advice. She is about a year old but I have only had her for a day so I don't know her activity level well. I read Innova is good but they don't have it at the pet store and I don't my mom would be willing to drive to where I found they do have it since it is out of the way. They have Nutro, I heard a few peope feed that. Is it good? Also they have Blue Buffalo which I heard was good also but my mom woudl rather get Nutro since it is cheaper even though I offered to pay the difference.
Second question is what types of treats should I buy. Like for when I am training her some tricks or to give to my family so they can give her some because she is overly attatched to me.
edit:right now she is on purina but only because that is what the shelter fed her.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

1. Please ask your mom to drive to a store that carries Innova, Canidae, etc. You won't need to feed nearly as much of a higher quality food so you will definitely save money.

Prices (http://www.petfooddirect.com):
Canidae: 20lb bag -- $21.
Nutro Natural Choice Chicken Meal, Rice & Oatmeal: 20lb bag -- $24

If you are forced to buy a pet store brand, I agree with your choice of Blue Buffalo. By the way, if your mom wants a comparison of ingredients, please let me know and I would be glad to provide one.

2. People on this board use all sorts of different treats. For training treats, I buy soft oatmeal treats from http://www.sitstay.com. For biscuits, I give Wellness Wellbars and Pet Guard Mr. Barky's biscuits.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

So Nutro is bad?
Old 07-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Quigleyfied

Nutro is a pretty low quality food for the price you have to pay for it - especially considering that it has a rather low meat content.

For more detailed info, see here:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....betterproducts
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

ok thanks, I think I am going to have to stick with blue bufalo, my mom seems to be getting a little annoyed at me telling what is good and what is bad. I think she thinks I am too picky.