Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Top Dog

So is it like the standard for Shelties to have ears that flip down at the tip? Is that what is expected when showing? I guess it probably isn't genetic or anything. What is the reason for gluing them to flip down? Why is that a necessary thing to do?

Thanks for answering my questions. I have no idea.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:26 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

It is AKC standard for them to tip at the top 1/4, yes.

It's not entirely a "not genetic" thing. Some dogs don't need any help to get the tip, and others need lots and lots of help - but it's not something you can predict, as ears also like to misbehave during teething. So breeders glue (or use other methods to train them) to start the ears off on the right track rather than trying to correct it later.

The reason for gluing them is because a breeder puts all that work into breeding good, healthy dogs to improve the breed and fit the standard - so the question, really, is what is the reason for NOT glueing them down?
Auggie is my pet and not a showdog, it's true... but I put a lot of time and money into finding a great breeder and a great line of dogs that ARE showdogs. I wouldn't blow all of that by not sticking his ears down two or three times to help them along, haha!

Hope that helps explain it for you... I'm still surprised at how many people don't know about training ears to tip (and how many people told me I was mean, or acted shocked and horrified, when I told them "what's up with Auggie's ears?") But then again, we had a collie when I was a kid and now it's shelties, so it's something I've literally been aware of all my life...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Active Pup

Shelties can have prick ears or tip ears. It all depends on the genetics of the parents. It is not a fault for them to have the prick ears, however a sheltie is known for their curled ears. Breeders have been known to "set" the ears with a strip of lambs wool glued to the ears to shorten the muscle between the ears, and also tip a pup's ears and glue them down to help them form correctly. It does not hurt the dog and will make the head set much more appealing.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

omg i just fell in love!!!!

check out blaze on this page http://www.goodtimeshelties.com/available.htm

Old 07-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Top Dog

Ohh ok I see. I dont think it is weird that you glue their ears or even cruel, it's not like that hurts them. I was just wondering what the purpose is. I am not into showing or breeding but I have watched the Westminister and Eukanuba Dog Shows most of my life and always noticed Shelties having their ears tipped like that. Then I adopted mine from a rescue and his weren't so I wondered what the big deal is. I love how they look with the ears tipped, it is adorable. My Sheltie is like 8 or so so probably too late to do anything about that huh? hehe
Old 07-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Active Pup

Ear setting has to be done in their formative months between 2 and 8 months when their muscles are still growing.