Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Active Pup

Default Large Breed Puppy and Eagle Pack Holistic for All-Stages?

Hello, I'm new so I hope I don't ask something that has already been asked, but I HAVE tried to browse the threads looking for an answer before asking!

I have a 4 month old large breed puppy that is an albino breed that tends to get food allergies. I have an older dog of the same breed who I've gone through all the food sensitivity issues with in the past. I had the puppy on Solid Gold Wolf Cub to hopefully prevent food allergy issues, but I wanted to change brands because of his loose stools. He wasn't having any skin problems on this food for the past month. I switched him over to Innova large breed puppy formula and within a couple of days he broke out (not fleas) so I'm wondering if it's the food. I've been wanting to try Eagle Pack Holistic anyway so I decided to give it a whirl.

Since there is no large breed puppy formula in a EP holistic blend, I decided to get the chicken meal formula for all-stages of growth (I don't have many options since I don't want any potentially antigenic fillers and I have a large breed puppy). I have read on this board that this sort of formula is suitable for puppies as well, if you use different feeding amounts.

However, I have not seen anything about whether an all-stages formula is suitable for a large breed puppy. Is it OK to feed this formula?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

PS. If this doens't work, I will try Natural Balance, but I just want to know if this all-stages formula is appropriate even for a large breed pup.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Active Pup

well, i just realized the feeding instructions state that when the pup hits 4 months, switch them over to the large breed puppy formula, which is not a holistic blend.

is ground yellow corn (an ingredient in the LB puppy formula) worrisome if i'm concerned about potential allergic reaction?

thanks!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Quigleyfied

Corn is only an issue if your individual dog is allergic or sensitive to corn. Just because a dog has allergies doesn't mean corn is automatically included.

I would be less concerned about whether a formula is "holistic" or not but rather what works out for your individual dog, and Eagle Pack has done a lot of research specifically on the nutrition of large and giant breed puppies.

If you are unsure, do feel free to email John Marsman, the nutritionist at Eagle, he is very helpful and will answer all your questions. His email is jmarsman at eaglepack.com.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:40 PM
and Fozzie B!

Ground yellow corn is a very common allergen. Stay away from anything with corn, wheat, & beef. I definitely recommend Natural Balance - it has "allergy-free" formulas & is for all life stages, which is preferable for large breeds. A large breed puppy should be eating between 23-26% protein.

I hope your pup feels better! What breed is he? I was thinking Dobe... I don't know of any "albino breeds"

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Active Pup

thanks mordy. i'm amazed at how much you've learned and the amount of time you spend trying to educate people. i remember, in reference to whether you had a "top 10" list, that you'd rather teach people how to pick good food than to have them pick one because you said so. i have a lot of respect for people like you. thanks a lot!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

How big is your puppy?

I just switched to Eagle Pack myself, and got the exact same food: Holistic Chicken Select.

I know I shouldn't have but I switched over cold turkey. No loose stools.

As Mordy said, contact them. I called them and no word of a lie within 5 minutes Danielle from Customer Service called me back.

Roxy (she'll be 2 sept 24) 77lbs - doing well, in less than two weeks I've already seen a shinier coat and firmer stools

Hades (he'll be 1 aug 8) ~60lbs - He's chunked up a bit since we switched and started mixing canned and dry, but his stools have also firmed up.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:47 PM

Just have to add my two cents. During the last professional seminar I attended, with Pat Hastings, feeding puppy food was blamed for more structural/growth problems than just about anything else. We were shown study after study illustrating the horrible deformities that can be caused especially with large breed puppies from the overkill in puppy foods. It was amazing to see the before and after shots of pups who had improved drastically, some in as little as a few weeks just from taking them off of puppy food and putting them on a premium adult food.
Most currently educated breeders don't feed anything but high quality adult foods to pups.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Active Pup

my pup is about 4 mo old dogo argentino, weighs about 42 lbs.

thanks for the replies. i think i'm going to go with a premium adult food now. now with an adult food, should it be a large breed adult food or just a regular ol' adult formula?
Old 07-20-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeaze
my pup is about 4 mo old dogo argentino, weighs about 42 lbs.

thanks for the replies. i think i'm going to go with a premium adult food now. now with an adult food, should it be a large breed adult food or just a regular ol' adult formula?
From what I understand, the regular stuff has all of the nutrients that your dogo would need. I'd love to see photo's of you pup.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Love my pets

I would say get one for all life stages (Canidae is a good choice if a dog has allergies). I have 3 large breed dogs. The large breed dog food seemed to give them growing pains and the vet suggested going off it and go to all life stages.

I'd love to see a pic of you puppy, too.