Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 07-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Top Dog

I love schoolies, they are the *best*!

I use Riley with my 8 year old niece and he's such a doll.

Jordz- Circling's a good tactic for slowing them down and balancing them. Another thing I do is just canter, let them go as fast as they want, they get tired quick, and if they try to break keep them cantering. Don't push them though, let them go at their own pace. I assume this THB was off the track?

With my old girl Penny, that's what worked best after tonnes of circles to get her balanced. It teaches them that they can relax at the canter, they don't always have to be going full out.

Automatic leads are the best! My fat QH was awesome at them, it was unfortuante though when it came to counter canters... He'd listen to my cue and pick up the "wrong" lead but switch back right away! LOL, like, "Ah hello up there? I'm on the wrong lead thanks.." LMAO
Old 07-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Mutts to you

Nic pics, BostonBanker! That's great that Boston is still teaching - I hope he goes as long as a friend's Morgan (she rode him until he was 46, he retired from eventing at 40 but still showed on the flat and taught her nieces to ride).
Hey Roxy! Here's that pic of Rocket launching himself - it's not the greatest pic, but you'll get the idea. We were at a local park, schooling over the Novice fences and he didn't like the look of this one. He overjumped every time I took him over. (This was at the beginning of our eventing career, many years ago.)

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 07-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

OMG!!! Your pretty much standing straight up!! LOL, and he looks like he's rearing not jumping! LOL

Your form is very nice considering the circumstances too! LOL

*drools* Look at those knees! Wow, perfectly square and tucked up neatly. That's another reason I never could've gone into eventing. Riley had horrible form. Extremely flat, he'd only exert himself to the minimum! LOL, but hey that's a Western Pleasure confirmation QH for you! Ha ha! We were SSOO in the wrong sport! LMAO

Did I miss what breed Rocket was?
Edit: Yes I did, he's a Morgan?

I had a Morgan, well worked with a Morgan last year, Bella. Her trot was SOOO smooth! It was actually work to post it. Much easier to sit there like a sack of potatoes! LOL

Are you out of eventing now? Just relax and take your time or still up there at breakneck speed? LOL
Old 07-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Mutts to you

He was a Morgan... not particularly typy and actually, he was gaited. Couldn't jog to save his life, he'd single-foot instead but he also had a great trot - when he was collected, he'd have that moment of suspension between strides so it felt like we were floating along.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 07-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's CD
OMG!!! Your pretty much standing straight up!! LOL, and he looks like he's rearing not jumping! LOL

Your form is very nice considering the circumstances too! LOL

*drools* Look at those knees! Wow, perfectly square and tucked up neatly. That's another reason I never could've gone into eventing. Riley had horrible form. Extremely flat, he'd only exert himself to the minimum! LOL, but hey that's a Western Pleasure confirmation QH for you! Ha ha! We were SSOO in the wrong sport! LMAO

Did I miss what breed Rocket was?
Edit: Yes I did, he's a Morgan?

I had a Morgan, well worked with a Morgan last year, Bella. Her trot was SOOO smooth! It was actually work to post it. Much easier to sit there like a sack of potatoes! LOL

Are you out of eventing now? Just relax and take your time or still up there at breakneck speed? LOL
Pretty much out of it. Rocket blew the suspensory ligament capsule in his hindleg and that pretty much ended his jumping career. After he recovered, we just hit the trails. Each year, he wore less and less - I usually rode him bareback with a jumping hackamore and we'd mosey along, probably could have used a halter and done just as well. I did break him to drive at age nineteen and I kept him 'til he died (three years ago, this past April).
Don't know if Chance likes to jump or not, and he's pretty much of a sissy boy about wide open spaces - likes being in a nice, safe, enclosed ring or paddock. Lol! I'm thinking he was probably a Park Pleasure horse, he'll park out at the drop of a hat and he'd rather sleep in a stall with nice clean shavings. Such a city boy!