Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon806
vanillasugar--actually, they are scientifically classified as omnivores, but are considered opprotunistic carnivores.
Biologically, they are in the order Carnivora. However, they are NOT obligate carnivores (like cats).

The domestic dog receives a significant part of its diet from plant material from which it derives nutritional value, leading me to consider it an omnivore.

Mordy will disagree, saying that because the plant material that dogs eat is heavily processed they are not omnivores.

Just a matter of opinion, I guess. (But I know I'm right )
Old 07-17-2006, 01:49 AM
I Love My Belgian

I feel that dogs are carnivores. In the wild, dogs will tear open and shake out the contents of the stomach before eating the stomach. The only time they eat berries is when food sources are low.

My dogs eat a raw diet and they are doing very well. My newest addition was just switched to raw and she loves it. I'll never go back to kibble after seeing so much improvement.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Top Dog

Humans can't eat raw meat (other than fish), it has to be processed, etc. for consumption. Does that mean that people are herbivores?

If you're going to give me the argument that there is some unnamed aboriginal tribe somewhere in the world that eats raw meat, I'm going to say that there are dogs that are completely vegetarian. (Xoloitzcuintli)
Old 07-17-2006, 04:19 AM
Quigleyfied

I'm going to lock this thread since some people seem to find it difficult to not hijack every single discussion in which the herbivore vs. carnivore topic comes up.

Apologies to the person who originally started this thread. Yes, dogs can eat raw meat, and there are several really good books on the topic, such as Dr. Lonsdale's "Raw Meaty Bones" for example.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Closed Thread