Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

Default Anyone know the truth about grass?

I've heard a couple of different theories about dogs eating grass:

-they eat it to regurgitate
-they're missing something in their diet
-boredom

and the one I believed the most was it to keep everything moving, to help with digestion.

Does anyone know the real reason?

The reason I ask is I've noticed the past week or so, my guys have been eating more grass than normal. They eat grass often and don't puke. Just the past couple of walks, I've noticed them lying the grass and mowing on the grass, and yes they really eat it, they don't pluck it and spit it out.

Any insight?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Permanent Troll

There was a research done on why dogs eat grass and I believe they didn't come to a conclusion on why they do. Just like the reasons you mentioned, I think it's all speculation and no hard evidence on why dogs eat grass at all. Some mention they do it out of boredom, like the taste of grass, are hungry, relieves stomach issues, etc, etc..... but like I mentioned, it's all speculation.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:10 PM
whatszmatter

its a ? like why do humans or dogs yawn, they have their ideas, but nobody knows for sure.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

Brain is deprived of oxygen. That's what I've heard at least.

But that doesn't explain why yawns are contagious...
Old 07-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
The reason I ask is I've noticed the past week or so, my guys have been eating more grass than normal. They eat grass often and don't puke. Just the past couple of walks, I've noticed them lying the grass and mowing on the grass, and yes they really eat it, they don't pluck it and spit it out.
Chloe has been doing that alot lately also......and she does the exact same thing, lay in the grass and eat it....
Old 07-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

It's just that it's been so much more than usual it makes me wonder. Like, why are they doing it in the first place? Than I can start deciding why they've begun eating more of it. Like, if it's their diet, it's missing something. Or if their stomach's are upset.

I have to know the root of why they do it at all before I can figure out why they've been doing it more often yano.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's CD
It's just that it's been so much more than usual it makes me wonder. Like, why are they doing it in the first place? Than I can start deciding why they've begun eating more of it. Like, if it's their diet, it's missing something. Or if their stomach's are upset.

I have to know the root of why they do it at all before I can figure out why they've been doing it more often yano.
Ever since the beginning of Summer, Chloe has been literaly grazing like a cow..
Old 07-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Quigleyfied

If dogs have a severe deficiency in their diet, they will usually eat more than just grass.

Unless grass eating gives them an upset stomach (or leads to frequent vomiting) there's nothing wrong with letting them eat it. Sometimes adding a green supplement like for example alfalfa helps meet that need.

Just be sure you know that the grass they are eating hasn't been treated with any chemicals or isn't otherwise exposed to contamination.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:39 AM
Active Pup

i read in some book that when somethings bothering there stomach they eat grass to regurgitate it
Old 07-17-2006, 01:43 AM
Jerk.

a friends vet told him some dogs like the taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin