Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 07-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Are you dead yet?

That does sound odd, it's possible that she was just having a bad day but I'd switch simply because of the groomer's cold demeanor.. That's not someone I'd want working with my dog.

Good luck at the new place!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD
Yelling, hitting and hanging? NO F'ING WAY. I was firm with the dogs I groomed, but I never ever resorted to abuse. I'd send a dog home and say that I could not groom it due to its behavior, before I would mistreat it in order to get the money. I think it's sick that people will abuse animals just so they can make a few extra bucks..
This is exactly my point, if more groomer's sent dogs home instead of abusing the dog in order to be payed, the whole industry would change.
I know that there are people out there who demand that the job be done no matter how stressed their dogs are in the process, send 'em packing.
There is absolutely no excuse for abuse, no matter where you work (not you RD ), or how much you needs the money. The thought that anyone would be so ignorant as to hold a dog down, hit it with a brush, scruff it or any other form of abuse just makes my blood boil. It can be difficult to include the owner in the grooming experience, but it can be done and is done in many grooming salons. If it's a problem for the groomer, it's a pretty sure sign that there's something to hide. Just set down some simple rules for the owners so that they don't contribute to their dogs stress level and let them know that they'll get the grooming job that can be done humanely, and will be charged accordingly. Simple!
I have to say that I wish more owners took responsibility to ensure that their dogs have learned to enjoy the kind of touching that must occur during grooming. One hour of each of my puppy sessions is dedicated to just this type of training. I show owners how to teach a hold, how not to "need" restraint while brushing and clipping nails, ear cleaning, teeth cleaning..etc.
If a groomer would just picture a stranger doing what is done to their clients dogs on a regular basis...they'd blow a fuse. It's just never excuseable.
If I ever see the groomer who killed the 2 dogs and abused my blind and deaf rescue, lets just say she'd better be moving quickly in the other direction!!

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I think staying and watching........even through a window is a great idea. Then you will see exactly how your dog reacts and if the groomer is doing something too harsh.

When Charlie cut his foot and got out of the hospital two nights later........ I had to take him for bandage changes about every two days. Well the first couple times I took him an assistant would come up to me and reach for Charlies leash and say they are ready for Charlie. I just told them that I am not sqeemish and would like to accompany him for the bandage change. The first couple times with different workers they all acted shocked. But after a few times all of them knew.....and there was no question. They also seemed to like the extra help in lifting him on the table and me petting his head to keep him calm. I also learned how to change a bandage and the best products to use. Which came in very handy when he chewed, or got the bandage dirty or wet. I guess the point I am trying to make is.....
It is great to be involved and you really can learn lots....but let the professionals do their job without interruptions and take it all in.....Maybe you would feel comfortable with trying the cuts on your own if you watch them a couple times.
I got many compliments on my bandages....and I thanked the tech, and she seemed really pleased.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie
I think staying and watching........even through a window is a great idea. Then you will see exactly how your dog reacts and if the groomer is doing something too harsh.

When Charlie cut his foot and got out of the hospital two nights later........ I had to take him for bandage changes about every two days. Well the first couple times I took him an assistant would come up to me and reach for Charlies leash and say they are ready for Charlie. I just told them that I am not sqeemish and would like to accompany him for the bandage change. The first couple times with different workers they all acted shocked. But after a few times all of them knew.....and there was no question. They also seemed to like the extra help in lifting him on the table and me petting his head to keep him calm. I also learned how to change a bandage and the best products to use. Which came in very handy when he chewed, or got the bandage dirty or wet. I guess the point I am trying to make is.....
It is great to be involved and you really can learn lots....but let the professionals do their job without interruptions and take it all in.....Maybe you would feel comfortable with trying the cuts on your own if you watch them a couple times.
I got many compliments on my bandages....and I thanked the tech, and she seemed really pleased.
That's exactly what I do. After the experience with Rosie, I stay through each of my dog's proceedures and surgeries. I just can't let anyone take any of my dogs behind closed doors ever again. My Vet. is terrific and I am not going to screw up this privilege by misbehaving. I was with Amos while he lost his "berries", with Lola during her entire spay, with Sophie during a tooth extraction and will be with Tinker during her jaw reconstruction surgery later this month. More clinics should allow this for owners who want to be with their pets. It free's them up to do other things while the drugs are taking effect and during recovery.
If owner's remain calm and helpful, pets just do better with the owner present.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:50 AM
Are you dead yet?

My vets are very familiar with me as I volunteer in their clinics whenever I get the chance. I "shadow" both of them when they do surgeries on occasion and they know I'm not squeamish and that I'm familiar with most of the procedures, so they have always allowed me to be there when something is being done with my dog.
On the flip side though, I've spent lots of time with both vets. Not once have I seen anyone mistreat an animal, and I would have no worries about leaving my animals in their care.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:37 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy
dr2little: I would love to groom her myself, but she is a toy poodle and I think she would end up looking horrible...lol
i'm sure you could learn to groom her if you were interested in it. i used to groom my old mini. she looked a little rough sometimes especially at the beginning, but the more i did it, the better i got at it.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Active Pup

I know for me it's all about the dog. not me, not the parent, but the baby on my table. I have gotten into trouble for sending a dog home before the groom was completed because I felt that the stress level had been reached. I tell the parent to try again in a day or two, and it usually goes without a hitch.

You have to go with your feelings on this, and find another groomer, or as I try to do with any of my clients, encourage them to do it. If it looks that bad, I can fix it. But i'm sure you will soon be very happy with the groom you and your baby achieve. The time you spend grooming your pet will strengthen the bond that has already formed. I'm all for parents grooming, even if it puts me out of business.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Active Pup

Do you have any mobile groomers in your area? If so, that is something you might want to try. I've been grooming for 4 years, but this is my 2nd year doing mobile grooming (just opened my own business).
Dogs who are nervous, for whatever reason, seem to do very well in a grooming van, where there are no other dogs, and they are receiving one on one attention. Your dogs is never in a cage, and the groomers hands are always on the dog to comfort and protect.

As far as the groomer you went to, I feel that there is absolutely no excuse for him yelling at your dog. Dogs can understand a firm voice without becoming scared. I don't like the tone he appears to have taken with you.

As far as the dog becoming scared, its not necessarily anything the groomer did. The kindest groomer can have dogs that don't want to go to them. There are so many things that a dog can react to. Its possible there was an aggressive dog in the same room, or a cat. Its possible that another dog that was afraid, or not used to being in a cage, was putting up a fuss. There can even be things going on outside the salon that scares the dog and makes them associate that with grooming. My motto on my van is "Humane, compassionate, and personalized attention for your dog." I pride myself in developing relationships with the dogs and would feel terrible if someone thought I did something to their dog because he was afraid to go in the van.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presents
I know for me it's all about the dog. not me, not the parent, but the baby on my table. I have gotten into trouble for sending a dog home before the groom was completed because I felt that the stress level had been reached. I tell the parent to try again in a day or two, and it usually goes without a hitch.

You have to go with your feelings on this, and find another groomer, or as I try to do with any of my clients, encourage them to do it. If it looks that bad, I can fix it. But i'm sure you will soon be very happy with the groom you and your baby achieve. The time you spend grooming your pet will strengthen the bond that has already formed. I'm all for parents grooming, even if it puts me out of business.
I wish more felt the way that you do... Can we clone you??