Are Collies Considered Large Breeds?

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Im just curious because I do not know if Collies are large breed dogs, I know they can get upwards of 50-60 pounds for males but is this considered Large Breed?

I ask because I am currently feeding Lizzie Beneful puppy :eek: and yes I know its considered a yuck food but I am going to switch her to Exclusive. Now I know Exclusive isnt as high quality as say Natural Balance or Timberwolf Organics which were my first choices. But I live in Puerto Rico (lived here for 3 years) and there is nothing like that available to me. I can only order them through catalogues and the shipping for a 30 pound bag would be 50-82 dollars :eek:

So I am feeding Exclusive which is the best thing in my area and I wanted to know if I should get a large breed formula or if a regular puppy formula is fine? Thanks!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I think Collies are one of those "in-between" breeds. Frankly, I consider them large dogs, just because they are very powerful, strong dogs - and they're bigger than my idea of a medium sized dog (i.e. Brittany spaniel, Border Collie, Standard Schnauzer, etc.)

As for as food goes, however, she's a medium sized dog. Large breed formulas are (in my opinion) a gimmick. Anything extra a large breed formula has (such as glucosamine) isn't present is large enough quantities to make it useful.

How old is she? In the larger breeds, I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding adult food to an older puppy. My dogs were fed one big bag of puppy food (Pro Plan), then switched to adult.

With a dog such as a collie, I'd feed normal puppy food, and then straight in to the Adult food.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
it should have a weight thing on the back of the packet that tells you the weight of the puppy that should be fed that food

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Actually, Collies are 50-75 lbs (bitches 50-65, dog 60-75). And then there are those breeding the bigger ones, who can tip the scales at 85+ :mad:, but we'll try to forget them...

You should consider the breed as a whole, not just the size of the bitches. I consider them a larger breed, but don't feed "large breed" foods. I feed adult dog food (Canidae or Innova) to my pups, adults and even seniors. I don't do the life stage thing and have never had a problem. This is with 35+ years of Collie feeding!

I consider them a large breed as well. But just barely. I feed Flint River Ranch.. no life stages for their food. I started with Beneful as well and it stained her teeth. So be careful with that.

Rough Collies are a large breed. The extremes, like the mastiffs or Irish Wolfhounds, are giant breeds.

I'm not sure how much help that is with feeding, of course. I just get irked with how people keep trying to sneak the giants into the 'large' category. Toy and Giant are very reasonable solutions to the fact that there are small/large breeds that are significantly smaller/larger than their nearest lookalikes.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I honestly dont know any large breed owner that feeds their dogs "Large breed" dog food.

I had Riot on LgBreed puppy food for a couple of weeks until I learned otherwise. Large breed pups should be switched to adult food at a younger age to help slow down their growth rate - so they can have longer healthier bones.

On Beneful though - get a new brand of food asap.
Its definately a low end quality of food.
Innova, Canidae, Fromm or even Natural Balance are a better choice.

bubbatd

I would consider a standard Collie a large breed. But they are smaller boned than some.....Large to be is height, not weight .... to me Greyhounds are large breeds .

Members online

No members online now.