Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

My sheltie also has an extra dewclaw on both of his back feet. The vet is going to remove his back dewclaws when he is asleep while getting neutered. His front ones will stay because they are very well attached and won't get caught on things.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Active Pup

Off with the dewclaws, I say! Strange that your vet won't do it. I'm sure the next one you call WILL. It is really not that big of a deal and sure can prevent injury in the future!
Old 07-12-2006, 03:57 PM
whatszmatter

it depends, how old is the dog/pup, how well are they formed? do they just barely hang there or are they well attached, is it front or back?

One of my working dogs has her front ones, they weren't removed at the breeders, who know's why we've gotten many good working dogs from this place, but it happens I guess. They're well attached, she's going on 7, and has zero problems, sure she could develope something, but she could also break her leg climbing an 8 ft wall. You're vet may be right and the risk of putting your dog under just to have them removed isn't worth the risk.

Now if i'm way off and I think you may have just or are expecting pups, get them removed. Its very very easy when they're young and could save some potential hassels in the future. My above reply only applies to dogs that are gotten later in life and they may or may not need to be removed, but there isn't any reason no to have it done to young puppies IMO.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBree
Zoey has them and we've had no problems, and my vet doesn't beleive in removing them, and doesn't do it.
Then why ask? IMO remove them, I've seen dewclaws ripped off and it's pretty nasty and painful.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Collie Crazy

summitview, are you always so blunt? sorry just curious

As for the dew claws I dont think collies have the back ones and if they do Lizzie's were removed. As for the front ones she has them and theyre pretty well attached and all my dogs have had them and theyve never had a problem
Old 07-13-2006, 05:21 AM
and Fozzie B!

I was wondering the same as Summit, if your vet refuses, what choice do you have? Are you comfortable with using a different vet for the purpose of removing their dews?

My sister had a Chi with dews, and they were a pain to remove and one was partially ripped out in grass. That's my experience, atleast.

Fozzie has his dews, but they are well attached and large enough that I can keep them cut short.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie