Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Herding dogs rock!!!

I don't see why everyone is saying RC is too expensive??? It's about the same price as Nutro where I live and cheaper then shipping in another brand. I don't get it...
Old 07-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Quigleyfied

Cowgurl, compared to what the really high-end foods cost, both RC and Nutro are overpriced. They are just not made from the same high quality ingredients and generally contain much less quality meat.

Consider that you can get a 40-pound bag of Canidae (a pretty good food) for around $35 for example.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

I understand that, but for those of us who live out in the middle of nowhere, there is literally nothing better around. I have to drive almost an hour to get RC as it is. The price of shipping food to my house would make it even more expensive to get another brand. I've looked into it, trust me. I guess I'm just tired of going out of my way to give my dog the best possible food for my situation, and still hear people say it's not good enough. There are dogs who live their entire lives on Alpo, and while not healthy, they survive. I'm proud of the fact that I haven't settled for a grocery store brand, and I don't regret my decision to stick with RC. To each his own I suppose...
Old 07-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Puppy Dog

Default i look at it this way

You do the best you can do with what you have available. If you can get better food good if you unfortunately can't due to different reasons then so be it. As long as you are doing your best and providing what you can. But once again what do I know
Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

I agree If better food was more accessible, I would get it in a heartbeat. It's not though so I do the best I can. Oh well....
Old 07-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgurl6254
I understand that, but for those of us who live out in the middle of nowhere, there is literally nothing better around. I have to drive almost an hour to get RC as it is. The price of shipping food to my house would make it even more expensive to get another brand. I've looked into it, trust me. I guess I'm just tired of going out of my way to give my dog the best possible food for my situation, and still hear people say it's not good enough. There are dogs who live their entire lives on Alpo, and while not healthy, they survive. I'm proud of the fact that I haven't settled for a grocery store brand, and I don't regret my decision to stick with RC. To each his own I suppose...
I wasn't addressing your ability to get a particular food or not, just answering your question how RC is overpriced.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

Maybe it's cheaper around here....it's actually cheaper than Nutro
Old 07-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Collie Crazy

I guess it really depend on the location. Some places have RC a bit cheaper, some more expensive. In my case the mall pet shop has RC for 34.99 a 15 lb bag!!!!!! Talk about ripping a customer off! I checked out a feed store and their prices are way cheaper and they also carry Exclusive which I would prefer to feed (just me) Lizzie is switching to Exclusive and im getting her a smaller bag to start off with since i'd hate to get a big bag and lose all that food (and $$) to find out she has an allergy or something
Old 07-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Big Dog

Oh wow...the vet I work for doesn't even sell it for that much! (and he is over-priced). He sells the 15lb bags for $24.99.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieCollie
they also carry Exclusive which I would prefer to feed
If you are referring to Purina Mills Exclusive - that isn't as high quality as RC though. It also contains menadione - which RC does not include, one feature that sets it apart from many other "middle of the road" foods.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!