Pregnant?

ChiBree

Who's Vet lets you just walk in and order a spay, anyways? I think she's doing her best by calling the Vet 1st thing Monday morning.

B

BlackDog

ChiBree said:
Who's Vet lets you just walk in and order a spay, anyways? I think she's doing her best by calling the Vet 1st thing Monday morning.
Maybe they run their clinic resturant-style where the vet tech goes over to you with a little note pad, pen, and takes your order.

***So you want a spay? Would you like some heart worm preventative with that?"

Boxerowner

BlackDog said:
Maybe they run their clinic resturant-style where the vet tech goes over to you with a little note pad, pen, and takes your order.

***So you want a spay? Would you like some heart worm preventative with that?"

LMFAO!!! Tooo funny:D

My vets here don't do spays on any days but Tuesdays, and Thursdays and yo usually have to make an appointment 2 weeks in advance unless its an emergency.

Roxy's CD

I know that my vet's office only does major surgeries on Thursdays. But if I showed up when they opened with my poochies, they would definitely cater to my needs. Or, if she doesn't need surgery right away they would sign me up! LOL

I've called my vet many a times after hours, early in the morning etc, and she has come to my house once, and talked me through it over the phone.

If she does have to get them aborted *immediately* I would think that her vet would do so for the health of her dog.

mjb

As for what kind of shelter adopts out intact animals, there are some. The shelter that we got our cat from does not let any animals leave intact. Our kitten was 10 weeks old, and they neutered him before he left. (Our vet indicated he thought that was too young, but he understood that's what the Humane Society does). The shelter that we adopted our dog from did not have him neutered before he came home with us. He was 2 months old, and we signed a contract agreeing to have him neutered by 6 months old, and we were given a voucher to pay for it. They did follow up by phone to see why they hadn't received the voucher from our vet as proof he was fixed. At the time they called, he was 4 months old, and we told them that the vet wanted to wait until he was 6 months old. I suppose our vet requested payment after it was done, so they never called again. I don't know if they would have neutered him before adopting him out if he had been an adult or not.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

Our shelter adopts all their animals out unneutered and unspayed. If they come in intact they go out that way. You pay $30 for a dog and they give you a form that says when you go to have the animal spayed or neutered they will pay 2/3s of the bill. It doesn't say anything about that you HAVE to. There are too many people that just throw the sheet away because they don't want to even spend 1/3 of the price. The shelter is rediculous.

Just a quick question....how long have you had the dog for? Im just wondering.

I would ask for an ultrasound. You can only get x-rays done in the last 2 weeks of pregnancy.

B

BlackDog

mjb said:
As for what kind of shelter adopts out intact animals, there are some. The shelter that we got our cat from does not let any animals leave intact. Our kitten was 10 weeks old, and they neutered him before he left. (Our vet indicated he thought that was too young, but he understood that's what the Humane Society does). The shelter that we adopted our dog from did not have him neutered before he came home with us. He was 2 months old, and we signed a contract agreeing to have him neutered by 6 months old, and we were given a voucher to pay for it. They did follow up by phone to see why they hadn't received the voucher from our vet as proof he was fixed. At the time they called, he was 4 months old, and we told them that the vet wanted to wait until he was 6 months old. I suppose our vet requested payment after it was done, so they never called again. I don't know if they would have neutered him before adopting him out if he had been an adult or not.
When I asked that question I really meant "what kind of good shelter adopts out intact animal?" And that's just the thing, no good shelter would adopt out intact pets. (expect maybe small animals) the point of having shelter pets fixed is to avoid more being put into the same situation. The shelter pets aren't breeding quality anyway. Leaving them intact just isn't worth the risk of the dog getting pregnant, or getting another dog pregnant, if you don't want to breed them and just want an unfixed animal.

mjb

The shelter I got my puppy from, unneutered, was the Humane Society in a small town. My kitten was also adopted from a Humane Society shelter in a city, and he was neutered. I had previously adopted from that same city shelter, years before, and they gave out vouchers to get the spay/neuter done at a later date. Maybe the small town shelter has just not caught up with the newer method of doing things. Even my vet was surprised that my kitten was neutered at such a young age!
I do understand that the only way they can be sure the animals they're adopting are getting spayed/neutered is doing before they leave the shelter.
All-in-all, though, I thought the Humane Society that we got Spanky from did a good job. They animals there were very well cared for, and they did a good job of communicating with the surrounding area about the problems of overpopulation and of advertising the pets they had up for adoption. I still look at their website often. I would definitely get another pet from them. But then, I always spay or neuter my pets.
It will be interesting to see if they adjust to the newer way of doing things and start having their adoptees fixed before they leave. They already have the vets who do the spay/neuters for free for the adopted pets after adoption.

txdachshunds said:
Sad to say, if you spay a pregnant dog, you will also abort the pups.
Yes but sometimes when you know nothing about who she was bred with when she got out or whatever the case may be, or what sort of diseases the male may have, etc, sometimes it is much safer this way. I hate when vets insist on waiting until 6 months old as everyone knows by then animals can get pregnant and mate and that is way too young. I honestly would look into a vet that does not do pediatric spay and neuters and reconsider taking your animals to a vet who is a little more up to date with the times and aware of the overpopulation problems. A vet that refuses to do pediatric spay and neuters is most likely an older vet who went to vet school years and years ago when speutering was almost unheard of let alone done under 6 months.

I am also wondering too why the shelter or the OP/owner of the dog did not notice the CONDITION OF THE TEETH. Baby teeth are very obviously different from adult teeth and a 3 month old dog would have them still. Then you would notice them fall out and the pup would go through a teething stage and by 6 months would be getting adult teeth in. No baby teeth and not teething would be a dead giveaway that the dog is older then 6 months.

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Its weird for shelters to not spay/neuter before adopting the dog out, at least I have never heard of it (doesnt mean it doesnt happen I just havent had that experience)

Anyway, take your dog to the vet to see if they can do an X-ray or Ultrasound to determine how far along she is, and if the pups are fine for her to carry. I know many people will bash me for this but I do not believe in spay/aborts. Maybe too large life threatning pups would be different, but if I ever have to make the decision I will let you know.

Also I find it a bit weird that a Shelter would not be able to tell a dogs age, given that a 3 month old has puppy teeth while a 1 1/2 year old dog will have fairly clean adult teeth. I can understand a first time dog owner, but come on, a shelter?

Around here, some shelters fix and some don't. Our shelter spays and neuters everyting before it is adopted. The shelter one county over gives out certificates for when the animal reaches a certain age. I personally couldn't see doing it that way, because you know many people won't bother and then you have more unwanted babies.
When we adopted our cat from a shelter in a different state, she was unspayed. They gave us a coupon that could only be redeemed at the vet of their choice. We took her a week later to be spayed and declawed (before we understood declawing). She ended up getting a bad infection form the vet that the shelter refused to cover the antibiotics for. I later heard that that particular vet was an absolute butcher. I would have rather payed our vet the money and kept our girl healthy.
I do find it odd that the shelter misjudged her age. Although some dogs can look like pups on the outside, teeth don't lie.

Members online

No members online now.