Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-09-2006, 01:15 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

Summit.................DROP IT. It is a common problem with chihuahuas to need c-sections. Are you saying no one should ever breed them? Never mind don't answer that.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Crazy Dog!

For my bitch's first litter she had to have a c-section. (Australian Cattle dog) She had to have one because one pup was already dead and she had not gone into active labor. We were afraid for her health and the health of the other pups. We did the c-section, and I was in the operating room and helped w/ pups. Then while she was on the table I asked my vet if he saw any reason why she couldn't have another litter, or anything out of the ordinary. If there had been, I would have spayed her right then. (She had problems getting pregnant, we bred her 4 times and she never took until the 4th) If she had been a pet and it had been too late to terminate pregnancy, I would have spayed her REGARDLESS, there is no excuse for another unwanted pregnancy.
Anyway, after the section my vet gave her a shot to bring her out of anesthesia slowly and I took her home immediately. She nursed the pups just fine, and we never had another problem.

BTW, before i get any flames, look at the website in my signature... this was a planned litter out of a Ch bitch who is working on other titles.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Rebel With Cause

I had a Boston Terrier bitch and decided to breed her 1 time. She was of course a c-section and I was there as were some of the people going to be getting a pup.
We had to shake them down to get the fluid out of lungs and I found the whole thing not to my liking. But that is me.
The pups were healthy and mama came through it well but having undergone 2 c-sections myself I can not imagine having a child nursing there too.
My female Boston was promptly spayed at that time and I have never bred again. That is not to say that I think we should do away with the breed because I do and always will love the Boston Terrier. I just can not do it.
I don't get puppies either as there are too many " PUREBRED" dogs in shelters as well as mutts looking for forever homes. Your choices may be different and I am a big enough person to say the choice is yours.
How many people drive vehicles and talk on cell phones ?? Drive without seatbelts ? My point is that everyone does something that may not infact be the best thing to do but that is what makes the world go round. I don't want to be a carbon copy of someone else so I say to each their own. Good luck with your litter Chi.