Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-04-2006, 02:11 AM
rottiegirl

Here is an EXCELENT site with tons of pics to show you what a proper pit looks like... http://www.apbtconformation.com/head.htm

Standard Comparsions... http://www.apbtconformation.com/standardcomparison.htm

Last edited by rottiegirl; 07-04-2006 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Puppy Dog

No one looks at the standard when breeding.
Read the part on shoulders in the UKC standard and look at all the pictures you can,and try ti find 1 with the correct shoulders.
http://www.apbtconformation.com/frontstudy3.htm
the fronts are starting to look like Fox Terriers which is wrong.
I left it as one as that will be hard enuff.I have yet to see one in person with the correct shoulders.
So again no one is reading the standard.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:58 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutylr
No one looks at the standard when breeding.
No one? I doubt that. There are people breeding towards the standard... The other breeders are starting to look bad to me, not breeding toward the stardard. A lot of the pits around here are starting to look more and more like American Bulldogs to me... it's all about size and intimidation...

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-04-2006, 02:13 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover_4ever
I love you, lol. That is so true. No one gave a rat's a*s about the dog's looks. All they cared about was fighting. My GSD was not bred for looks, but guess what? He has wonderful working abilities, and that is what I care about, not who's winning in the d*mn conformation ring.
they also cared about engineering the "perfect" fighting dog. and form follows function. if a dog with certain structure did better in the pit, for sure people would look to that dog's conformation and try to follow it. pit bulls, like all breeds created for a certain purpose, have the structure that they do for a reason.

a dog with weak structure, shallow chest for example, bowed front legs, straight hind end, whatever is not going to do as well in the pit. that's just the way it is.

structure and conformation is extremely important in a working breed. what good is a dog with excellent working ability and temperament and heart if his body breaks down or can't support his spirit?

conformation is so much more than "looking pretty."
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
structure and conformation is extremely important in a working breed. what good is a dog with excellent working ability and temperament and heart if his body breaks down or can't support his spirit?

conformation is so much more than "looking pretty."
Tell that to the American Show bred GSD's. Yeah, they can work better than a german working line GSD because their knees drag the ground.

If you look into GSD's you would see that poeple who work their dogs from working lines do not care for looks. I'm glad they dont breed to AKC conformation. A breed standard should be for an ENTIRE breed, then why are so many breeds divided? Explain that. Look at huskies, GSD's, Rotties, Dobies, Mals ect. They are ALL divided and have MANY breed standards, that fit that certain line they were bred into. Standards have changed immensly from breed to breed. Look at the first dog for each breed and then look at an example from this day and age. Then compare those to other dogs of the same breed used for a different purpose. And keep going, and you would notice a BIG difference. People focus WAY too much on looks rather than working ability. And unfortunately if I stick to "standard" then my dogs will not be able to work, because the structure is TERRIBLE. I would take a mutt who can work over a working breed bred for conformation and shows NO working ability what-so-ever.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

When I look at this picture I see APBT written all over it. Yes, she is on the bulky side but is not exxagerated, like most pits today. She, IMO, is very well balanced.

http://www.matrixkennels.com/emma.htm
Old 07-04-2006, 05:38 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
When I look at this picture I see APBT written all over it. Yes, she is on the bulky side but is not exxagerated, like most pits today. She, IMO, is very well balanced.

http://www.matrixkennels.com/emma.htm
She is a very nice pit bull. She is not conditioned as much as some other dogs on that site. I get a feeling that you like pits who are not conditioned. You dont like seeing ribs and an amazing tuck, but thats ok because the pit you picked out conforms to the standard very well.

There are people who like a well conditioned dog, and then theres people who think it looks anorexic.

Standard:

The loin is short, muscular and slightly arched to the top of the croup, but narrower than the rib cage and with a moderate tuck-up (TUCK UP IS VERY IMPORTANT IN AN ATHLETIC DOG AND THE DEGREE OF TUCK IS INDICATIVE OF THE LEVEL OF CONDITIONING.) The croup is slightly sloping downward.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiegirl
She is a very nice pit bull. She is not conditioned as much as some other dogs on that site. I get a feeling that you like pits who are not conditioned. You dont like seeing ribs and an amazing tuck, but thats ok because the pit you picked out conforms to the standard very well.

There are people who like a well conditioned dog, and then theres people who think it looks anorexic.

Standard:

The loin is short, muscular and slightly arched to the top of the croup, but narrower than the rib cage and with a moderate tuck-up (TUCK UP IS VERY IMPORTANT IN AN ATHLETIC DOG AND THE DEGREE OF TUCK IS INDICATIVE OF THE LEVEL OF CONDITIONING.) The croup is slightly sloping downward.
Rottie, I apreciate you for not bashing me for my likings. I'm glad that someone on here respects others opinions. I personally do not like overly "conditioned" pits. I prefer the ones that look like the one in the picture I posted, maybe a little less bulky but I prefer that look in comparison to the one you posted. Way to skinny for me. I like a nice tuck but not so much to where it looks like a greyhound or Whippet, again that is how I see it.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Rottie, I apreciate you for not bashing me for my likings. I'm glad that someone on here respects others opinions. I personally do not like overly "conditioned" pits. I prefer the ones that look like the one in the picture I posted, maybe a little less bulky but I prefer that look in comparison to the one you posted. Way to skinny for me. I like a nice tuck but not so much to where it looks like a greyhound or Whippet, again that is how I see it.
I am glad you like pits that comform to the standard, its great! Different people have different tastes, and thats ok as long as the pit is a good representation of the breed. I just happen to like extremely conditioned dogs, and you dont, which is perfectly fine!

The dog I posted conforms to the standard... the one you posted conforms to the standard just as much.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

Matrix Kennels has quite a nice reputation...I also like this kennel and have spoken to the owner a few times...they're amstaffs...anywho, breeds apbts as well if I do recall...to me, they're the same diff...anyways, a very solid and reputable breeder:

http://www.hartagold.com/