Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 05-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Dog Show Addict

My family and I have owned/bred/trained/showed Shelties for more then 20yrs - they are definately a very smart and willing breed one they trust you!
Some CAN be known to be stubborn however and take their time to do things that you ask(Jada is well known for that lol).
I thought it was too funny when you refered him to being "worse then a cat". I always make fun of our Shelties by telling people they are just yippy cats lol(dont worry, I know they are much more lol)

He is a beautiful boy, it seems people have beaten me to the answer about grooming though lol

but I'll add in some things right now

My sheltie girl right now is on my lap watching the mouse move on the screen and saw Simba as well. She thinks hes a handsome boy

lol anyways,
for helping with matts do NOT wet them to try and get them out. it makes the knots tighter and way harder to deal with.
Instead put baby powder onto the knots and underneath(if you can). this helps loosen the fur from its tight hold and is much easier to get out.

with Shelties - they ALWAYS tend to keep "puppy hair" right behind their ears. Take thinning shears to this hair whenever you notice it getting long. This will help to prevent the tangles as well.

Another part they tend to get knots is right around their "private" areas. So take thinning shears around there as well when needed(NOT too short though lol).

Because Shelties are a double coated breed - they need more then a once a week grooming. They should be groomed at least 2-3 times a week with one day for a 'complete groom' - which means line grooming. the other times you can just gently go over their coat with a comb.

What type of grooming utencils do you use?
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 05-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Active Pup

Right now I'm using a pair of trimming scissors or whatever they are, supposed to be used on just hair. And I've got a double sided brush, one with fine bristles, the other with long metal bristles. A set of gillotine (sp?) nail clippers. Otherwise thats about it. My scissors are junk though, new but still junk. I'm have to get a pair that are really really good.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:03 AM
and Fozzie B!

Have you looked for an Obedience club nearby? They can be great sources for private behaviorists and good classes. If you tell me your general location, I could most likely find a club for you.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Active Pup

Much progress was made this morning. I got a muzzle from PetSmart earlier this week. I had been trying it out on Simba once a night to get him used to it, its like a leash to him (leash means going outside to him) and doesn't bother him to much. Took him outside, put him in his walking harness w/ muzzle and actually with relative ease was able to trim off some clumped up hair. He didn't yip or whine or fidget, just kinda sat still.

We didn't get his belly hair but got all the notted up hair behind his ears and some on his leg. We kept the muzzle on him only long enough to cut a small amount of hair off. Probably 30 seconds max.

While he was doing so good we got him combed real well and didn't get defensive and for once seemed to enjoy it. I think doing it all outside might have helped too.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Puppy Dog

Shelties are too smart for their own good! He may have figured out that as soon as he starts to act up, you stop the grooming. Start calling groomers in your area to at least have the mats behind his ear shaved out, that should cost you no more than $5-$10. Everything else in his coat may just be packed in undercoat that you can get out with plenty of elbow grease and the right equipment. The BEST brush to use on these guys and the ONLY brush I use now are the Les Pooche brushes, which you can find on lespooche.com. Try putting him on a higher surface, such as the clothes dyer. Dogs consider the ground to be "their territory" and once they are off it, they are more cooperative. If he is snapping at you, def. get a muzzle. Oftentimes, once the option of biting is removed, they give up. Shelties are my some of my favorite dogs to groom. Unless he is starting to SERIOUSLY stress out (eyes turn red, pooping and peeing all over the place, body so tense you can't move his legs, etc) DON'T GIVE UP!