Just canned?

Roxy's CD

Ok, so I'm thinking about just putting my guys on canned food. Royal Canin from what my pet store says they have it. Is it too much of a change to, change brands of food and switch from dry to canned?

Mordy - Is canned better than kibble? Like, just feeding canned food? I know they'll get the runs, but that should stop right? Should I transition them, by mixing kibble with canned until I add no kibble?

I also want to switch because then I won't be free feeding anymore and they'll be eating at certain times, this way I can give Roxy her pills knowing that it's on a full stomach.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Feeding canned food is fine. If you use the search function of the forum, you'll find many posts where I have explained the advantages of canned over dry. :)

Dry and canned foods are very different, so changing brands and type of food you are feeding really doesn't matter. Just keep some canned pumpkin on hand in case they do develop diarrhea.

I'm not sure what's available to you in Canada, but the only two higher end canned diets made by RC I'm aware of are IVD (prescription/allergy) and Sensible Choice. There are better brands you'll pay about the same amount of money for, if not less.

pup-man

Permanent Troll
When it comes to canned food, I'm a big fan of Eagle Packs line as well as Natural Balance and Canidae.

Roxy's CD

Woo Hoo! I'm good! That's what I got yesterday, Eagle Pack.

When I called and asked what brands they had they hadn't mentioned eagle pack. So that's what I got.

Royal Canin, only had their "technical version", the guy reccommended natural balance.

I was just going to search about Eagle Pack to make sure I made a good decision! LOL

thanks

Edit: So I just spoke with a representative from Eagle Pack (wow their service is great!) and asked about feeding just canned vs. dry.

She said as you did Mordy, that the canned is great for the extra moisture, but having an 80lb dog means that she would be getting up to 6 cans a day :eek:

She reccommended a mix, because dry food is good for the teeth and also has more vitamins/minerals.

I'm finishing up this last bag of Wellness and than I imagine we'll be switching to Eagle Pack for dry food.

So this is my plan: In the mornings they'll each get 3/4 of a cup of dry with a half a can of wet. This way Roxy can get her pills and I know she's digesting them on a full stomach. Hades, well just because he'll eat anything at anytime. LOL

I'll leave a cup of dry food during the day just in case they get hungry during the day. And at night they'll each get 2 cups of dry with a can of wet.

Last edited:

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Eagle Pack is a good choice. Very high quality products.

I would not leave any food out during the day though, just transition to scheduled meals.

Staff online

Members online