Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Big Dog

Question Beagles & housetraining

Are Beagles hard to house train? A friend of mine is considering one but has heard they are really difficult to house train and also that they are hard to keep at home as they run away if you let them off the leash

I dont know much about them at all..

[IMG][/IMG]
Casey
Old 06-26-2006, 03:58 PM
F150 and a .30-06

They are hounds so yes they can be hard to house train. They bring a whole new meaning to the word stuborn and can be howlers if not trained right. They like to dig, and again require alot of training.

They can NEVER EVER be allowed off leash as they will fallow a scent and NOT come back no matter how much training they've had.

They make Obediance training dificult.

They shed like there is no tomorrow.

They are netorious fence climbers and escape artists.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK
They are hounds so yes they can be hard to house train. They bring a whole new meaning to the word stuborn and can be howlers if not trained right. They like to dig, and again require alot of training.

They can NEVER EVER be allowed off leash as they will fallow a scent and NOT come back no matter how much training they've had.

But we love them anyway Their cuteness makes up for all that

Anyways they are definitely not for everyone.

Why is your friend thinking about a beagle? What attracts her to them? What is she looking for exercise wise? grooming wise? how much room does she have? how long will the dog be alone each day? Is she looking for a puppy or an adult? You can often find adult dogs from shelters that are already house trained...

Old 06-26-2006, 05:57 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
But we love them anyway Their cuteness makes up for all that
Yup. I thought I would point out the bad things. You must be willing to live with the worst of the breed before you get one.

I forgot to add they require a LOT of exersize. They were origionaly bred to track rabbits and such and fallow horses so their natural stanima is amazing.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Big Dog

Thanks thats a lot of good info from people who actually have a beagle and know first hand.

I think she loves the way they look as they are so cute.

But she needs to know this other information. She does love to walk and so it would get lots of exercise. Not being able to let it off leash might be an issue for her though and as for the other things I am not so sure she is up to the task

I will pass it along anyway.

BTW the way your beagles look really sweet.

[IMG][/IMG]
Casey
Old 06-26-2006, 10:48 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Maybe you can suggest to her to get on Chazhound

They're are TONS of beagles at the pound and shelters around here, because they are RUNNERS. I'd also agree that most of the adults are house trained, but they've gotten away. Unfortunatly some owners get fed up with the running and refuse to pay the dog at large fine, so they leave the dog at the pound instead

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Big Dog

Thanks Brattina

My friend is in her sixties (another reason maybe not to get a beagle pup) She doesnt have a cp and doesnt really like them.

I think she would be better with a smaller breed that can handle a nice walk. She would like a dog that can walk with her but not necessarily on the leash so a beagle isnt really suitable from what has been said here.

I think that we all figure a dog from the shelters have something major wrong with them or they wouldnt be there which isnt always the case too. Most of the shelter dogs up this way are huge and the smaller ones go so fast if there are any .

[IMG][/IMG]
Casey
Old 07-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK

HA! So true on all fronts!!!

I'd also like to add that they can be very difficult to walk on a leash because they're always pulling away to go smell something. And sometimes, when you need to get somewhere (like work), they'll delay going to the bathroom because they'd rather sniff.

In fact, my beagles will squat down to go the bathroom, start their business, and then all of a sudden stop because of a scent they picked up. And sometimes, they'll be squatting, but will continue to shuffle along so they don't miss out on any smells. Very funny to see.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

Haha Pomp, it sure does sound funny.

I don't know much about beagles or your friend so I cant give an reccomendations, sorry