Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Active Pup

Question Lots of food questions.

Right now, Chief is on half Natural Balance Ultra dry food and half freeze dried Nature's Variety Prairie. Ideally, Iíd have him on a homemade raw diet, but Iím afraid I would do it wrong, and I donít really have the freezer space to store much meat. In the interest of getting on the best diet I can manage, I have a lot of questions.

Iíd like to switch him to an all human grade food, but canít find any available locally. Iím really impressed with the information The Honest Kitchen has on their site, and am considering ordering some of their ďforce.Ē Does anyone have an opinion on or experience with their foods?

I also think that variety is important. I would like to continue to use Natureís Variety Prairie as part of his diet, and also rotate things like raw meats, yogurt, and eggs. Does this sound doable, or am I risking throwing the nutritional balance off if I mix and add things regularly?

I also have a question about feeding raw bones as treats. How do you keep it sanitary? I live in an apartment, so I canít easily feed him outside. How can I keep him from dragging it around on the carpet? He isnít crate trained and I wouldnít want to crate train him just for this.

Last but not least, whatís the real deal on processed foods? Whatís the difference in feeding fresh foods vs frozen vs freeze dried vs dehydrated? Which processing method keeps more nutrients intact? All the websites Iíve read say itís all just as good as fresh.