Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Big Dog

I do not trust everything I read from wikipedia.....it just happens to be sweet because it has fructose in it....that is no what it's used for.

And just for the record, Royal Canin is not a bad food.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Quigleyfied

It is true that by definition, FOS are short chains of sugar molecules, but it is also a type of carbohydrate that is barely broken down even in the more complex human digestive system - and a dog's is even less positioned for that.

As such, it functions as a source of fiber, and its specific properties make it more soluble than many others, which is beneficial for the intestinal flora. This is especially important for puppies, since they are born with a sterile intestinal tract that must mature over time to develop a normal flora. FOS also have a beneficial effect on the development of the intestinal mucosa. The beneficial effects are widely recognized in agriculture already and used for improving the development of piglets and calves.

FOS have been proven to be very effective for dealing with yeast and bacterial infection and many more serious diseases, such as leaky gut syndrome, Celiac disease, Crohn's disease, chronic giardiasis (again, specifically a risk in puppies) etc., due to its specific characteristic of nourishing beneficial bacteria strains, but not pathogenic organisms. They also tend to help animals to assimilate their food better.

As for the amount of inclusion in a feed, it has to be fairly high to be effective, so of course it would appear higher up on the ingredient list, especially in a puppy food.

It's easy to bash ingredients in food products for what they seem at first glance, but there's a good number of them that definitely do have a functional application.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 06-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Big Dog

Couldn't have said it better myself
Old 06-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon806
I do not trust everything I read from wikipedia.....it just happens to be sweet because it has fructose in it....that is no what it's used for.

And just for the record, Royal Canin is not a bad food.
All right--we're picking at one point I made out of a few as reasons why there are better foods than Royal Canin. I didn't say that Royal Canin is a bad food at all, just that there are alternatives that might be better.

I never doubted that FOS has health benefits. In fact, I acknowledged its probiotic properties. However, FOS just happens to be sweet and can be used to sweeten foods. It is interesting to me that both Innova and Canidae use Alfalfa and Chicory Root for their FOS/soluble fiber, whereas Royal Canin adds the carbohydrate directly.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Big Dog

Chicory root has FOS....on the bags of Royal Canin it says "Chicory root (fructo-oligosaccharides).
Old 06-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon806
Chicory root has FOS....on the bags of Royal Canin it says "Chicory root (fructo-oligosaccharides).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel
It is interesting to me that both Innova and Canidae use Alfalfa and Chicory Root for their FOS/soluble fiber...
Like I said.

By the way, what is the source of the FOS in the aforementioned puppy food. If it is chicory root, as it is for the Innova and the Canidae, why doesn't the Royal Canin list that explicitly?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Big Dog

It does on the bag, but not on the website.....I think they just put that on the website because above it they describe what it is....it's really not that big of a deal
Old 07-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Active Pup

Wellllll... they are loving the RC. Maybe when they are older I will switch them back to a "better" food. Thanks for all the advice.