Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Top Dog

I know how you feel, but I don't consider you or anyone else who rehomes a pet a failure. I've been there before.
We ended up finding a new home for the first puppy we got. I think it was probably similar circumstances to you. I felt like the puppy was out of control somewhat, and the training I was trying didn't seem to help, and I was overwhelmed.
We've had a dog since then and all went well. He lived to a ripe old age.
The dog I have at present was quite a pistol as a puppy. He's part terrier, and they tell me terriers are quite challenging. I was in a state of depression during some of his puppyhood. I stuck it out because I had a child who was in love with him, and I just strongly didn't want to give up on him. (I had already done that once with a puppy). He's not a large dog, either. He's typical terrier size, and about 30 lbs. I was thinking surely I should be able to handle him!!
By the way, he turned into an absolutely great dog. I like to think it's all the work I did with him, but sometimes that didn't seem to be making any difference. I think some of it just came with maturity. At any rate, he is wonderful.
I think I might be better suited to getting adult dogs and skipping the puppy stage from here on out, though!!
All this to say, I certainly don't think you're a failure, and I also understand where you are coming from, I think.
(And Petfinder does have alot of dogs of all ages and sizes...puppies and adults).
Old 06-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Puppy Dog

Congratulations on making an incredibly difficult, but incredibly responsible decision.

A lot of the groups who are on PetFinder.com are willing to arrange transport of dogs that are adopted by someone who is farther away. I've been a part of several such transport chains, one of which moved a Catahoula/Saint Bernard mix from Arkansas to Vermont!

Don't think you can't have a small dog because of location until you've contacted the adoptive agency. They might be able to work something out for such a good home.

Beth
Old 06-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Big Dog

Thanks Beth and again mjb

I am sure glad I found this forum as the people on here are very supportive and helpfull. I called the new owner earlier but she wasnt there so I left a message. When I hear how Zoe is doing I will be sure to let you all know.

Thanks again everyone

[IMG][/IMG]
Casey