Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Active Pup

Default Pet Yards??

Hi all,

I did a search on Pet Yards and didn't find much. We are currently crate training our 8 week old lab/mix. We have the crate in a gated off laundry room, so when he is not in the crate, he has a contained area........
Problem is he can't see us so he cries, cries, cries and when we let him out someone has to follow him constantly (because he can piddle every five minutes, even if he has just been out). We have a very open floor plan so gating off the kitchen area is not possible.
Pet Yards?? Anyone use them and how have they worked for you? My concern is that we spend the money on one, and get it home and even though he would be in the kitchen with us, he would be contained and unhappy about it anyway!
Any thoughts?

Thanks so much !
Old 06-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Top Dog

Can you borrow a playpen to see how it works out ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Twin 2.0

Pet yards? Are you talking about exercise pens or X-pens?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Active Pup

No, no play pens available, plus with a chewy puppy.....I'd hate to borrow anything........

This is what I am talking about.......

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...t=pet+yard&N=2
Old 06-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Twin 2.0

Yeah, that's pretty much an X-pen. Frankly, with a chewy puppy I'd go for the nickle plated metal gates, so he can't gnaw his way to freedom. When started early and not shown how to jump over, they will keep even an adult dog that can look over the top contained.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Active Pup

Are those for inside use? Because I want this to put in the kitchen to keep the little guy close to the family but out of trouble
And.....where would I find these??
Thanks!!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Twin 2.0

They also have them at Petsmart. What type of floors do you have in your kitchen? You can use them inside, but I'd be worried about scratching up unsealed hardwood. You could probably put felt or something on the bottom in that case, but otherwise they're fine.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

We have an open floor plan, too, and we had to be somewhat creative with gating. We were able to find gates that opened to very large sizes, and we were able to go into hallway with gates, etc., to get the kitchen gated off. That worked best for us, so that he could actually be with us. It was not necessarily attractive, and we ended up having a very small patch of carpet that was in the gated off area, but not much. I think the place we found the varying gates was JB Pet Wholesale. It's online. That might not be the exact name. You can google it, and it will give the website for it.