Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

RD, my rott is great meeting new people, very friendly. Its a shame that you have only met poorly trained ones, they can be such great dogs.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 PM
borgorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
I would not count on the fact that a dog who "charges guests", demands to be petted, and who barks at everyone at the vets is "bluffing".

I'm also disturbed when anyone describes a breed that is so powerful mentally and physically as the Rottweiler is, as a "big baby".

Dogs are not babies, and Rottweilers are certainly not.

If I were you, I would listen to what your dog is telling you, and it has nothing to do with being a "big baby".
You don't live with my dog. He's a big baby. When he charges people he olny wants to be pet. He is trying to beat the german shepherd to get the attention first. He just looks intimidating because of his size. Instead of charges I should say excitedly runs towards. The vet is the only situation he ever barks at people. And they even say he's all bark. They don't even take him serious, they laugh. The dog is almost 12 years old. Not a threat at all. You can't say listen to what my dog is telling me. I know dogs and my dogs better then anyone. Have had many dogs my whole life. He is a passive dog and when people come over they say "Wow, he's a big baby. You don't know my dog better then me.

Last edited by borgorn; 06-28-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:23 PM
borgorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieandchili
The only experience Ive ever had with rotties, is Capo, a girlfriends dog. I would visit about 1x a month.....and Capo was such a friendly dog!
If I sat on the couch...he'd inch his way over until I was petting him. Then he'd inch his way up on the couch until his head was in my lap. LOL...then he'd inch his way ON to my lap! He must have weighed upwards of 150lbs....and Im a pretty tiny gal! It must have looked so funny...this big huge dog, trying to fit on my lap!
He was a joy...bless his heart. He passed away last summer.
Mine was 153lbs when he was lounger. Now he's 135lbs. He thinks he's a lap dog too.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Are you dead yet?

Thank you all for the explanations, I appreciate it. I know I just need to be a bit more open to Rotties, because the couple well bred ones that I've met were such lovely dogs.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 PM
borgorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK
To me it sounds like he is trying to be dominate over the guests. 'Demanding" to be petted.

But thats just MO
He's not dominate at all. Just too affectionate. He's also competing for attention with the other dog.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
borgorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
bubbatd, from one who has about 20 years of experience with this breed, there are some that are extremely gentle.

It is wise, however, to always keep in mind the strength and power of this breed.

There are 40+ tombstones in the US under which dead people lie who were killed by Rottweilers.

Just last week another child was killed by a Rottweiler in Texas.

This breed deserves respect, and IMHO, representing any of them to the GP as "big babies" creates an incorrect perception of the breed, and dogs in general.

Way too many people make the mistake of trying to treat and train a puppy like a child anyway. My opinion is these sorts of terms perpetuate this train of thought in the GP.

A Rottweiler, even a very very friendly one, is a powerful animal who should be accorded a certain amount of respect.

The poster who has the dog charging guests, demanding to be petted, and behaving in an uncontrollable manner at the vets certainly does not have a "big baby."

Either of my 3 girls might be perceived by those who meet them in public on my leash as "big babies". They would have a radically different perception should they approach my van when they are crated in it, or my fencing at any time.

As always, JMO.

Others can and often do disagree.

wow, you are unbelievable. My dog is not uncontrollable at the vet. You made that up to strengthen your arguement.
Who tries to train their puppy like a baby? Not me. I am not a baby person. If someone broke in my house I question what my rotti would even do. He would want attention. But my german shepherd would make that person regret the decision to come in. I submit to this message board that you are trying to be a" know it all."

About the 40 tombstones. How many tombstones were caused by other humans. Does that mean all human should be labelled too?

Last edited by borgorn; 06-28-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

I understand what your saying to a T Red.

They are big. I tried the baby thing with Roxy, (of course before I knew better) and the results were not good. With a dog that size you don't want them taking advantage of any type of situation like that. Although, I think with good leadership they can be very cuddly and loveable. Like any other dog.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

Of course you don't treat any dog as a baby !!! Whether small or big they are puppies and must be trained ! It's only when they are trained, well mannered and over 75#s that they are " Big Babies " !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

My dogs are my babies but I treat them as dogs. When at home they are all "big babies" but that changes as soon as someone comes over. A dog should never lounge at a person who is not a threat. Caza doesnt like people, but he was taght to be indifferent to them. Since he is a working dog, I rarely take him out the the store and stuff because my pet dogs are Neeko and Joe (they usually go with me). Just because he prefers not to be petted does not mean he is allowed to act a fool in public. As long as you dont mess with him then he will not care about you. And that is how it should be. A dog should be NUETRAL to its environment.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Top Dog

All breeds are faced with false descriptions. Many consider a GSD a wonderful family pet and blah-blah-blah. but someone who does not research the lines and the breed will probably end up with a dog that is uncontrollable. Some GSD's (mostly american bred) are great family dogs, but put a good working lines GSD in a family, you would end up wth an agressive, dominating, monster.