Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Puppy Dog

Sorry that you feel that way.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

Sorry Gus,,,,I've never watched a working spaniel ....the only one I knew was a springer who ran the beaches etc barking at the sea gulls. Lovely,sweet dog. I'm sure your Dad was a kind gentle man who taught his dog what to do. What ever the breed, they need training. When my Dad's Irish Setter died I at 13 tried to find what was best for our family and looked into the Golden Retrievers. We got one of the first of the breeds in Canada. When old enough, my Dad took him hunting. Point was nowhere to be found after the first shot......he had run back to the car and jumped through the window into the back seat. Thus my first companion golden !!
Retrievers,
Old 04-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
I'm sure your Dad was a kind gentle man who taught his dog what to do.
My Dad is hopeless!! He's soooo soft with that dog!! But he gets real results with Barley! Barley's quite nervous so my Dad being quiet with him seems to work!

I think the hardest thing about Spaniel training, is keeping them focused!! They can be as Bubbatd rightly said a bit manic (although not all of them are!)!! Getting them to work in a figure of 8 pattern can be a challenge!! I've lost count of the times i've been seen chasing over the countryside after a Spaniel!
So unless you have a good amount of time each day to train, then maybe a Spaniel is not for you!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch