Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

Me thinks Fandogg wants to knock over another bee hive!! First, I want to say we have a weekly radio show here where people call in concerning dog/cat problems. When anyone calls about a pitbull it is about something other than agression. The vet, when learning it is a pit, will always say what wonderful dogs they are and he's so sorry they get such a bad rap .He said that all of his pit clients are sweet, loving dogs. Because of so many bad raps here in Indianapolis (bred for fighting, guarding or just as a macho dog to make the owner look tough ) when I see a stray in my yard I can't go out and check it's tags to find the owner like I do with other breeds. It's sad, but I can't take the chance. I personally have more problems with chows....can't trust them.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Love my pets

Haven't met a well behaved/trained pit I haven't liked. There are many other breeds that I wouldn't step near.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:11 PM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandogg
We can't change the people but we can get rid of the dogs. Innocent human life is more important then innocent dog like, i hate to tell you that.
Well I hate to tell you that Pit Bulls are no more dangerous than any other dog. I no sometimes irresponsible handlers get a pitbull, but that IS NO reason to wipe them out. Humans are a lot more dangerous, dogs havn't invented guns or harpoons, they dont poisen their world with pollution and greenhouse gases.
They are more natural, they react if they fel threatened, and, if threatened enough, will react constantly, because if they have been mistreated
human = danger
danger = attack
that is the same plan for any mistreated dog
we bought this upon ourselves.
Please go to
http://pitbulls.jentown.com/stereoty...htm#stereotype
it explains the steryotypes and why they exist.

And to me, animal life is probably more important than human life, especially pets, they rely on us to live...
Old 04-07-2005, 06:27 PM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Following Fanndog's logic(?) one could infer that since there are far more instances of people killing innocent people than there are Pits - or any other type of animal for that matter - killing innocent people, it is the people that should be exterminated as a species.

That makes at least as much sense as the original post - and follows the specious logic used by the original poster.
absolutley, as much as we dont want to admit it, we aree a lot more dangerous.

A person murders 20 poeple and they are put in gaol for life.
A dog bites someone because they were being teased and the dog is put down, doesnt really seem fair
Old 04-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Playful Husky Pup

wow you sure do sound like your REAL educated and that was a real mature comment whatever your age is.

"generalizing" because you go by acouple of cases where a pitbull is this kind loveable dog like they never did anything remotely vicious"

I think your alittle backwards there buddy i really think you need to do your research and THINK before you SPEAK. Just a thought.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 04-08-2005, 10:23 AM
I LOVE MY POOCH

I would just like to comment that an old neighbor of mine had 3 pits. They were the most beautiful and loveable pits that I have ever seen. Not to mention they were the first ones that I had actually seen in person. I have now seen a lot of them and they are all really sweet. To me it is just how the dog is raised by its owners.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Felurian

If Pits were such killers I'd probably be long dead by now. I've been around a lot of them - all belonging to other people.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Top Dog

I think she left....out of sheer embarressment!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Playful Husky Pup

no he/she comes back doesent say anything but usually comes back

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 04-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Top Dog

I have some personal statistics for just such occasions:

I figured out that by last count, in my career I have trained twelve pits and pit mixes. I have also trained twelve Yorkshire terriers. These are clients who either went through my entire basic obedience course or my problem solving program. I have never been bitten by a pit or pit mix. Four of those twelve Yorkies bit me. Understand that I work with dogs every day, so by necessity I'm an expert at diffusing a dangerous situation before it actually escalates into a bite. I have no doubt that one of those pits could've caused more damage in one shot than all those Yorkies did, but the point is that they didn't. I don't even recall ever feeling threatened by one.

In fact, there have only ever been two dogs in my entire life who actually frightened me. One was a greyhound who'd been constantly abused by his race trainer and left to die in a ditch with a broken leg. (His new name is "Lucky" and we're best of friends now. He scared the pants off me when we were taking him out of his kennel at the rescue. He didn't bite, but he made it clear that he fully intended to at the time.) The second was a Rhodesian ridgeback with too many testicles and too little training. He thought it was hilarious to scare people. It worked on me the first time, until I figured out what he was doing.

The point is, dogs aren't monsters. Even more, particular breeds aren't monsterous. Statistically, pits aren't any more likely to bite than labs. Making generalizations about breeds is cruel and dangerous and is the cause of a lot of pain and death. It's racism, and it should be just as taboo as racism between humans.