Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Quote:
We had a small shih tzu, he ate a 5 pound chocolate bunny and he was fine, I personally think it depends on the dog.
It's not the dog, it's the chocolate . . . milk chocolate has very little actual cocoa in it.
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-13-2006, 02:25 AM
ToscasMom's Avatar
ToscasMom ToscasMom is offline
Harumph™©®
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mother Ship
Posts: 6,211
Default

I lost my schnauzer to this after he ate an entire huge chocolate easter egg. Devastating. I knew he ate the egg and he got sick from it, but at the time they knew little about chocolate and dogs as far as I know. I just know in retrospect, knowing what I know now, this was what killed him.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-01-2007, 06:29 AM
little liz little liz is offline
little liz
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: England
Posts: 219
Default

Oh how awful to loose a dog like that! I am so sorry. What puzzles me is...what is the difference between real chocolate and the chocolate that is sold just for dogs??? I bought Minnie some dogie chocolate drops once, but she didn't like them so I gave them away to a friend. Does the dogie chocolate have the dangerous stuff taken out some how?
__________________

For pet portraits get in touch here
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,737
Default

The 'chocolate" for dogs is actually carob, which contains none of the harmful chemicals found in real cocoa-based chocolate.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-27-2007, 02:13 AM
nica's Avatar
nica nica is offline
Happy dogs expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 44
Default

My dog mitzi stolen some chocolates I left on my table and ate it all when she was a mischevious puppy. she even know how to peel off the wrappers carefully so she dun eat the yacky wrappers! I freaked out when i came home as I know chocolates are toxic to them. Rushed her off to the hospital and got her checked.

The vet says nothing much we can do but to observe as she has taken the chocolates for couple of hours now and they cant "wash" her stomach anymore, too late, all digested. I didnt have a good sleep, I could only watch if she reacts to it.

They did a blood test and checked her liver, there were some damage but not too bad as she didnt die from it. Probably she is of medium sized dog, and also, it is milk chocolate, so the cocoa content is not too high.

I'm blessed...dun let this happen to your dogs. Keep all forbidden foods out of reach from your dogs/puppies....they get bored and do all sorts of things when u are gone.

Here's quick reference list of forbidden food for your dog.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
amymarley amymarley is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 719
Default

Being in the animal community, I have heard many stories.... I believe chocolate is bad for dogs in general. That is my opinion...
I have, however, heard many more stories of dogs dying because of chocolate than not.
I will share that I had a few people, a few "old timers" that didn't know any better, and gave their dogs some mm's every day...and the dogs lived to be 12 to 16 years of age. I think that is not the norm. Granted, it was not dark chocolate, or maybe they developed a tolerance, or maybe it did take a few years off of their life. I don't know.

I won't take the chance. I have found that chocolate, onions, raisions, grapes,tomato leaves, green skin on potatoes, certain nuts and so on "can" be toxic.

Regardless, I am not going to chance it.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-03-2007, 04:14 AM
nica's Avatar
nica nica is offline
Happy dogs expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 44
Default

yap. depends on size and resilience of the dogs actually. each and every dog is unique.....smaller dogs surely react more quickly then bigger dogs when given toxic foods.... it's the eye of the potatoes tat is toxic to dogs. tat's why we are advice to remove skin. more accurate is to "dig out" the eye....

anyway, just be extra careful when giving treats/food...i have seen a youtube video on homecooked meals for dogs recommending tomatoes, i almost flipped!! imagine all the dog owners who are going to watch it and think it's OK to feed tomatoes! anyway, i place a comment not to feed tomatoes....hope it helps....
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-25-2007, 04:37 AM
Sevie Sevie is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 58
Default

It bugs me when people almost die cause their 150 mastiff ate a chocolate chip lol. I think one of my dog gets a lot of chocolate we never give our dogs chocolate but if we put chocolate on the ceiling anna could still get it she opens doors and cupboards it is a pain...... Now we never get those big bags of m&ms lol.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-26-2007, 06:20 AM
Abbysdad Abbysdad is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7
Default

While at my brother's house recently, his Dachshund got into the Easter basket and we don't know how much chocolate she ate. All of the wrappers were in a neat pile. My Bro's wife called her Vet and he told her to have the dog injest Hydrogen Peroxide, I think an ounce, and we took the dog outside (highly recommended) and talk about explosive vomitting. After about 20 minutes everyone and everything was back to normal.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Larabee113 Larabee113 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 0
Default Carob

If you're worried about giving your dog chocolate, and she tends to have a sweet tooth the healthy alternative is carob or yogurt chips.

Laura
http://www.poochiepastries.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site