Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Felurian

Quote:
We had a small shih tzu, he ate a 5 pound chocolate bunny and he was fine, I personally think it depends on the dog.
It's not the dog, it's the chocolate . . . milk chocolate has very little actual cocoa in it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-13-2006, 02:25 AM
Harumph™©®

I lost my schnauzer to this after he ate an entire huge chocolate easter egg. Devastating. I knew he ate the egg and he got sick from it, but at the time they knew little about chocolate and dogs as far as I know. I just know in retrospect, knowing what I know now, this was what killed him.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:29 AM
little liz

Oh how awful to loose a dog like that! I am so sorry. What puzzles me is...what is the difference between real chocolate and the chocolate that is sold just for dogs??? I bought Minnie some dogie chocolate drops once, but she didn't like them so I gave them away to a friend. Does the dogie chocolate have the dangerous stuff taken out some how?

For pet portraits get in touch here
Old 03-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Twin 2.0

The 'chocolate" for dogs is actually carob, which contains none of the harmful chemicals found in real cocoa-based chocolate.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Happy dogs expert

My dog mitzi stolen some chocolates I left on my table and ate it all when she was a mischevious puppy. she even know how to peel off the wrappers carefully so she dun eat the yacky wrappers! I freaked out when i came home as I know chocolates are toxic to them. Rushed her off to the hospital and got her checked.

The vet says nothing much we can do but to observe as she has taken the chocolates for couple of hours now and they cant "wash" her stomach anymore, too late, all digested. I didnt have a good sleep, I could only watch if she reacts to it.

They did a blood test and checked her liver, there were some damage but not too bad as she didnt die from it. Probably she is of medium sized dog, and also, it is milk chocolate, so the cocoa content is not too high.

I'm blessed...dun let this happen to your dogs. Keep all forbidden foods out of reach from your dogs/puppies....they get bored and do all sorts of things when u are gone.

Here's quick reference list of forbidden food for your dog.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

Being in the animal community, I have heard many stories.... I believe chocolate is bad for dogs in general. That is my opinion...
I have, however, heard many more stories of dogs dying because of chocolate than not.
I will share that I had a few people, a few "old timers" that didn't know any better, and gave their dogs some mm's every day...and the dogs lived to be 12 to 16 years of age. I think that is not the norm. Granted, it was not dark chocolate, or maybe they developed a tolerance, or maybe it did take a few years off of their life. I don't know.

I won't take the chance. I have found that chocolate, onions, raisions, grapes,tomato leaves, green skin on potatoes, certain nuts and so on "can" be toxic.

Regardless, I am not going to chance it.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:14 AM
Happy dogs expert

yap. depends on size and resilience of the dogs actually. each and every dog is unique.....smaller dogs surely react more quickly then bigger dogs when given toxic foods.... it's the eye of the potatoes tat is toxic to dogs. tat's why we are advice to remove skin. more accurate is to "dig out" the eye....

anyway, just be extra careful when giving treats/food...i have seen a youtube video on homecooked meals for dogs recommending tomatoes, i almost flipped!! imagine all the dog owners who are going to watch it and think it's OK to feed tomatoes! anyway, i place a comment not to feed tomatoes....hope it helps....
Old 07-25-2007, 04:37 AM
Puppy Dog

It bugs me when people almost die cause their 150 mastiff ate a chocolate chip lol. I think one of my dog gets a lot of chocolate we never give our dogs chocolate but if we put chocolate on the ceiling anna could still get it she opens doors and cupboards it is a pain...... Now we never get those big bags of m&ms lol.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:20 AM
Active Pup

While at my brother's house recently, his Dachshund got into the Easter basket and we don't know how much chocolate she ate. All of the wrappers were in a neat pile. My Bro's wife called her Vet and he told her to have the dog injest Hydrogen Peroxide, I think an ounce, and we took the dog outside (highly recommended) and talk about explosive vomitting. After about 20 minutes everyone and everything was back to normal.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Active Pup

Default Carob

If you're worried about giving your dog chocolate, and she tends to have a sweet tooth the healthy alternative is carob or yogurt chips.

Laura
http://www.poochiepastries.com