Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

Unhappy Why is he doing this???

My 12 week old Sheltie was totally potty trained. Well, yesterday and today he's started peeing in the house again! What is going on?? For about a month now he's had no accidents and consistently told us when he needed to go out. He is still telling us when he needs to go out, but we are finding puddles everywhere again. Any ideas on why he is backtracking??
Old 06-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

Are you being lax as to going out times ??? Pups do sometime disgress...no big deal ...something could have upset the applecart.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by bubbatd; 06-11-2006 at 10:21 PM. Reason: cf
Old 06-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

The sam thing happened to Izzy AND Frodo, lol. They hadn't had an accident in 3 weeks, had been granted access into the living room, etc. Then it started to rain out every day and then they didn't want to go outside so they started to go in the house again. Right now I am really buckling down and they have lost the privilege of being in the living room. They haven't had an accident in 3 days and when it hits a week I will try letting them in the living room again. Could it be something like this, did something in the environment change?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 06-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Big Dog

I found this happened just recently with Zoe.

I restricted her more like when she first got here and she got back on track again.

[IMG][/IMG]
Casey
Old 06-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Top Dog

Just keep doing what you've been doing. Tips knew to do outside at 10 weeks, but they can't physically control it until they are older, so accidents still happen.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Puppy Training Advice

12 weeks is still young! People find that they are having the same problems with their dogs as you have with yours. Keep the pup on a tight rope while you are in the house, i.e. keep the pup on a leash attached to you while you are in the house. Also, take the pup out to pee fairly freqently so he remembers that the outside is his giant urinal! If he had made such good progress when he was only 10-11 weeks, he will be right back on track in no time!!!!

http://www.puppytrainingadvice.com
Old 06-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

12 weeks is still extrememly young. You can't expect them to be perfect until about 4-6 months. Even still, they can have accidents. Sometimes they have lapses, in all parts of training. Ex) You taught brutus how to sit. He knew it, you thought 100%, a couple days later you ask him to sit, and he looks at you like your stupid. He has no idea.

In all parts of training dogs have "lapses", where they temporarily forget things that you may have been working with them for months.

As everyone's said just keep it up. 12 weeks is still super super young. It's no biggie.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

Thanks everyone I'm still not sure why he is peeing occasionally. 90 % of the time he will bark and run to the door to go out, but sometimes he just goes wherever he is standing. I'm just assuming his little bladder isn't big enough to hold it sometimes. I'll keep working on it