Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena
What really ticks me off is Owen is better trained and better socialized than any of those little dogs (no offense to small dog owners, I know there are some who value training and socialization as I do but in my neighborhood small dogs this does not hold true) yet because of his size, breed (correct or mistaken) people think he is a threat.
You are sooooo right! I used to take my Bear everywhere with me. He was the perfect gentleman - all 110 pounds of him. I had perfect confidence in him under any circumstance, he was, after all, certified as an animal therapist by the University of Tennessee Knoxville's HABIT board. One of his favorite trips was to Gatlinburg. He just loved the crowds and everyone who stopped to pet him. It was always fun to walk in and out of the shops with him. There was always someone (generally a woman) with a toy breed of some sort, and there was always some snarky remark made about "that big dog." "That Big Dog" was always perfectly mannered and quiet. It was always gratifying when the store owners would tell people that Bear was always welcome in their store; that he was their favorite customer! They only problem I ever had was keeping him from eating too many treats! The people with the outdoor pizza parlor always found him a piece of pizza - his favorite! Not a bad life for a dog rescued from death row, hmmm?